Men's Tennis Defeats New Mexico State, 6-1
Jan. 21, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona State men's tennis team (2-0) posted another 6-1 victory, this time over New Mexico State (0-2) today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils took the early advantage in the dual by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. On court No. 2, ASU's duo of Nic Dubey and Jarrod Eckermann made quick work of the Aggies' Aurelien Monmarson and Ben Newcombe, 8-1.
The Sun Devils won the doubles point on the third court where Olivier Charroin andPim Van Mele won in convincing fashion, 8-2. However, ASU's top team of Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger were upset on the first court by New Mexico State's Alvaro Dominguez and Cesar Obieta, 8-4.
In singles action, ASU won five of the six singles. On the second court, Klinger tallied a quick 6-2, 6-1 victory over Dominguez for the second point, while Eckermann followed with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Monmarson on the sixth court.
Mirza Duranovic, who posted a straight sets 6-4, 6-4 win over Newcombe, clinched the dual on the third court for the Sun Devils.
The Aggies recorded their lone point on the No. 1 court when Obiets defeated Dubey, 6-4, 6-3.
Up next, Arizona State will begin Pac-10 action, hosting USC on Friday, January 26 at 1:30 p.m. the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. Dominguez/Obieta (NMSU) def. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU), 8-4
2. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU) def. Monmarson/Newcombe (NMSU), 8-1
3. Charroin/Van Mele (ASU) def. Evan/Jerry Noble (NMSU), 8-3
1. Cesar Obieta (NMSU) def. Nic Dubey (ASU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Alvaro Dominguez (NMSU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Ben Newcombe (NMSU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Ludovic Barthe (NMSU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Dan Evan (NMSU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. Aurelien Monmarson (NMSU), 6-2, 6-2
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 8/24 | 7:00pm PTLive