Men's Tennis Sweeps BYU 7-0
Jan. 23, 2001
Los Angeles, Calif. -- The 13th-ranked USC men's tennis team swept BYU 7-0 this afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With a 2-0 overall record, the Trojans prepare to face their first Pac-10 opponent this week.
Despite dropping the first doubles match, USC easily claimed victories at No. 2 and 3 for the doubles point. Andrew Park and Damien Spiezo only allowed a single point in an 8-1 win over Matt Stohl and Jeff Harbach, while Parker Collins and Ruben Torres took the No. 3 match 8-5.
The Trojans grabbed all six singles matches for the win, including a final three-set victory by Andrew Park at No. 1. Park was forced to come from behind after dropping the first set 6-7. He finished the match with convincing 6-3, 6-4 wins in the second and third sets.
USC travels to Arizona this week to face the Sun Devils on Friday, Jan. 26, and the Wildcats on Saturday, Jan. 27.
(1) Vilms/Lozano (BYU) def. Moore/Rainey (USC) - 8-6
(2) Park/Spiezo (USC) def. Stohl/Harbach (BYU) - 8-1
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Nyman/Gysens (BYU) - 8-5
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Carlos Lozano (BYU) - 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-4
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Gert Vilms (BYU) - 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
(3) Damien Spiezo (USC) def. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) - 6-0, 6-3
(4) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Jeff Harbach (BYU) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Michael Gysens (BYU) - 6-4, 6-0
(6) Parker Collins (USC) def. Matt Stohl (BYU) - 6-3, 6-1
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive