Men's Tennis Upset In Pac-10 Opener
Jan. 26, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Behind four singles wins, the Arizona State men's tennis team (3-0, 1-0 Pac-10) upended 13th-ranked USC (2-1, 0-1 Pac-10), 4-3, in the Pac-10 opener for both schools at the Whiteman Tennis Center today.
USC struck first by claiming two of the three doubles matches for the first point. On the third court, Parker Collins and Ruben Torres defeated ASU's Olivier Charroin and Pim Van Mele, 8-3.
The eighth-ranked tandem of Ryan Moore and Nicholas Rainey won the doubles point on the first court as they defeated Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger, 8-6. The Sun Devils won on the second court when Nic Dubey and Jarrod Eckermann came back from two breaks down to pull out a 9-7 victory.
In singles play, USC went up 2-0 when 18th-ranked Park defeated Klinger, 6-1, 6-1 on the second court. However, ASU tied the dual when Eckermann defeated Collins on the sixth court, 6-1, 6-2 and Dubey upset Moore at 7-5, 6-3 defeat on the first court.
On the fourth court, Van Mele came from a set down to win in three sets over USC's Rainey, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3. The dual was clinched for the Sun Devils on the third court when Mirza Duranovic, who also came from a set down, defeated Speizo, 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-1.
Up next, the USC will face Arizona in Tucson on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
1. (8) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) - 8-6
2. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU) def. Park/Spiezo (USC) - 9-7
3. Collins/Torres (USC) def. Charroin/Van Mele (ASU) - 8-3
1. Nic Dubey (ASU) def. Ryan Moore (USC) - 7-5, 6-3
2. (18) Andrew Park (USC) def. Matt Klinger (ASU) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Damien Spiezo (USC) - 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-1
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. (56) Nicholas Rainey (USC) - 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Ruben Torres (USC) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. (96) Parker Collins (USC) - 6-1, 6-2