Men's Tennis Upsets No. 13 USC, 4-3
Jan. 26, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Behind four singles wins, the Arizona State men's tennis team (3-0, 1-0 Pac-10) upended 13th-ranked USC (2-1, 0-1 Pac-10), 4-3, in the Pac-10 opener for both schools at the Whiteman Tennis Center today.
The eighth-ranked tandem of Ryan Moore and Nicholas Rainey won the doubles point on the first court as they defeated Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger, 8-6. The Sun Devils won on the second court when Nic Dubey and Jarrod Eckermann came back from two breaks down to pull out a 9-7 victory.
In singles play, USC went up 2-0 when 18th-ranked Park defeated Klinger, 6-1, 6-1 on the second court. However, ASU tied the dual when Eckermann made quick work of Collins on the sixth court, 6-1, 6-2 and Dubey handed Moore at 7-5, 6-3 defeat on the first court.
On the fourth court, Van Mele came from a set down to win in three sets over USC's Rainey, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3. The dual was clinched for the Sun Devils on the fourth court when Mirza Duranovic, who also came from a set down, defeated Speizo, 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-1.
Up next, the Sun Devils will host third-ranked UCLA on Saturday at 12:00 p.m.
1. (8) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU), 8-6
2. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU) def. Park/Spiezo (USC), 9-7
3. Collins/Torres (USC) def. Charroin/Van Mele (ASU), 8-3
1. Nic Dubey (ASU) def. Ryan Moore (USC), 7-5, 6-3
2. (18) Andrew Park (USC) def. Matt Klinger (ASU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Damien Spiezo (USC), 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-1
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. (56) Nicholas Rainey (USC), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Ruben Torres (USC) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. (96) Parker Collins (USC), 6-1, 6-2
TOMORROW | 7:30pm PTLive
Thu 2/22 | 6:00pm PTLive