Cal Falls in Dual Opener
Jan. 26, 2001
SEATTLE, WA - The 28th-ranked Washington men's tennis team defeated 24th-ranked California, 4-3, today in Seattle as Washington improved to 3-0 on the season and 1-0 in conference play. Cal drops to 0-1 in Pac-10 play. Washington senior Jeremy Berman clinched the win with a victory over No. 22-ranked freshman Balazs Veress (7-5, 5-7, 6-2).
Senior Erik Dmytruk fell to Ari Strasberg, the 89th-ranked singles player by the ITA, (4-6, 6-2, 6-2). Senior and No. 41-ranked Adrian Barnes could not find his rhythm against junior transfer Andrej Bizjak, as Barnes lost in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2. The final point for Washington came from senior Andy Posavac, playing in the No. 4 position, who defeated sophomore Robert Kowalczyk (7-6, 6-3).
Cal found only two points in singles as No. 7-ranked John Paul Fruttero grabbed a win at the No. 1 spot over Matt Hanlin, 6-4, 6-3, while senior Scott Kintz grabbed a victory at the No. 6 spot against Marius Lunde, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.
In doubles, the No. 1 duo of seniors Scott Kintz and Eric Dmytruk lost to Jeremy Berman and Andy Posavac (8-1). The senior duo, which had been ranked as high as No. 15 by the ITA in the preseason, will have another chance to grab a victory together tomorrow against Oregon. Cal grabbed the doubles point when Fruttero teamed with Adrian Barnes at the No. 3 spot, as the duo defeated Andrej Bizjak and Matt Hanlin (8-3). The sophomore tandem of Robert Kowalczyk and Ben Miles, grabbed the No. 2 point, as they defeated Dillon Ruby and Ari Strasberg, 8-5.
Cal will take on the No. 63-ranked Oregon Ducks at 2 p.m. tomorrow in Eugene.
1. John Paul Fruttero d. Matt Hanlin (6-4, 6-3)
2. Andrej Bizjak d Adrian Barnes (6-0, 6-2)
3. Jeremy Berman d. Balazs Veress (7-5, 5-7, 6-2)
4. Andy Posavac d. Robert Kowalczyk (7-6, 6-3)
5. Ari Strasberg d. Erik Dmytruk (4-6, 6-2, 6-2)
6. Scott Kintz d. Marius Lunde (2-6, 6-4, 6-4)
1. Jeremy Berman/Andy Posavac d. Scott Kintz/Erik Dmytruk (8-1)
2. Robert Kowalczyk/Ben Miles d. Dillon Ruby/Ari Strasberg (8-5)
3. John Paul Fruttero/Adrian Barnes d. Andrej Bizjak/Matt Hanlin (8-3)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:30pm PTLive