No. 24-ranked Men's Tennis Downs Ducks
Jan. 27, 2001
EUGENE, OR. - The men's tennis team bounced back today with a 5-2 victory over the Oregon Ducks after suffering a 4-3 defeat yesterday in Washington. The Bears improve to 1-1 in the Pac-10 with these first dual matches of the season.
The Bears got off to a sluggish start, losing the doubles point when two tandems were defeated to start competition. Senior Adrian Barnes and sophomore John Paul Fruttero teamed to win the No. 2 spot in doubles, defeating Buck Mink and Jason Menke, 9-7. Seniors Scott Kintz and Erik Dmytruk return with two losses on the weekend. Playing at the No. 1 spot, the duo were defeated by Oregon's David Becker and Martin Pawlowski in a tough match, 9-8.
In singles, Cal gained confidence as five of six Bears won their matches. No. 7-ranked Fruttero held down the No. 1 spot for the Bears, defeating Oded Teig handily in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. Following Fruttero was No. 22-ranked freshman Balazs Veress who also made quick work of Martin Pawlowski in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Filling the No. 3 spot was Erik Dmytruk, who struggled early but found his rhythm to defeat Buck Mink 2-6, 7-5, 6-1, while Scott Kintz knocked out David Becker (7-6, 6-1) at the No. 4 spot for the Bears. Junior Hiro Nakamura grabbed a win at No. 6 by downing Greg Dubourdieu, 7-6, 6-0. The only loss of the day came at No. 5, where sophomore Ben Miles could not get past Jason Menke, losing, 7-6, 6-1.
The Bears will host their first dual matches of the season when they face Fresno State, Thursday, Feb. 8, at the Hellman Tennis Courts, before playing Saint Marys and Santa Clara on Saturday, Feb. 11.
Final Score: California 5, Oregon 2
1) David Becker/Martin Pawlowski def. Scott Kintz/Erik Dmytruk, 9-8.
2) Adrian Barnes/John Paul Fruttero def. Buck Mink/Jason Menke, 9-7.
3) Oded Teig/Greg Dubourdieu def. Ben Miles/Hiro Nakamura, 9-8.
1) No. 7 John Paul Fruttero, def. Oded Teig, 6-2, 6-3.
2) No. 22 Balazs Veress, def. Martin Pawlowski, 6-4, 6-4.
3) Erik Dmytruk, def. Buck Mink, 2-6, 7-5, 6-1.
4) Scott Kintz def. David Becker, 7-6, 6-1.
5) Jason Menke, def. Ben Miles, 7-6, 6-2.
6) Hiro Nakamura, def. Greg Dubourdieu, 7-6, 6-0.