UCLA Men's Tennis Tops Arizona State, 4-3
Jan. 28, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. - After being postponed from Saturday, the men's tennis dual between Arizona State (3-1, 1-1 Pac-10) and third-ranked UCLA (3-0, 2-0 Pac-10) resumed Sunday with the Bruins escaping Tempe with a 4-3 victory at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
UCLA claimed the doubles point on the second court when Marcin Matkowski and Travis Rettenmaier defeated Nic Dubey and Jarrod Eckermann, 8-4. It was Dubey and Eckermann's first loss of the year. UCLA closed out the doubles on the third court when Tobias Clemens and Lasi Ketola downed Mirza Duranovic and Pim Van Mele, 8-5. In singles action the Bruins took a 3-0 advantage when Chris Sands and Ketola beat Eckermann and Charroin on the sixth and fifth courts respectively.
However, ASU would post wins on the first and second courts to narrow the lead to 3-2. Dubey defeated 27th-ranked Rojer in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, while Klinger defeated Clemens in threes sets, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4.
The Bruins won the dual on the third court when 28th-ranked Grinda came from behind to edge Duranovic in a second set tiebreaker, 6-1, 7-6 (7). The Sun Devils closed out the dual on the fourth court when Van Mele outlasted Erfan Djahangiri, 6-7 (8), 6-4, 6-3.
1. (45) Grinda/Rojer (UCLA) def. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU), 8-5
2. Matkowski/Rettenmaier (UCLA) def. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU), 8-4
3. Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) def. Duranovic/Van Mele (ASU), 8-5
1. Nic Dubey (ASU) def. (27) Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA), 6-3, 6-3
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. (97) Tobias Clemens (UCLA),
6-4, 1-6, 6-4
3. (28) Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA) def. Mirza Duranovic (ASU),
6-1, 7-6 (7)
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU), (47) Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA),
6-7 (8), 6-4, 6-3
5. (32) Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Chris Sands (UCLA) def. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU), 6-2, 6-2