Husky Women Earn Runner-up Spot, Men Take Third at Air Force Classic
Feb. 3, 2001
SEATTLE-- The Washington track teams made the trek to Colorado Springs for their first scored meet of the 2001 campaign, the Air Force Classic, Saturday.
The Husky women's team placed second in the quad meet behind Colorado State, while the men finished third to the Rams and the Air Force squad. In addition to solid team performances, the Huskies also had individuals earn qualifying times for both the NCAA and Mountain Pacific championships.
On the women's side, senior Kelsey Sheppard (Bellevue, Wash.) was the lone event winner, taking the 60m hurdles title, while juniors Zee Ogarro and MerryJane Bendico earned runner-up honors in the long jump and pole vault, respectively. The Husky women also took second place in the two relays, the distance medley and the 4x400, en route to the runner-up team finish.
Earning Mountain Pacific qualifying marks were (not including those already qualified): senior Chelsie Pentz (400m), Bendico (pole vault), junior Zee Ogarro (long jump) and sophomores Brittiny Roberts and Jamara Smith (triple jump).
The Husky men's team boasted four event winners and an NCAA qualifier, but could only muster a third-place finish at the quad meet, ending up just eight points out of the lead.
Senior sprinter Ja'Warren Hooker (Ellensburg, Wash.) reached the NCAA Provisional Qualifying mark in the 200m dash with a time of 20.99, en route to winning the event. Hooker has already secured himself a spot at the NCAAs in the 55m dash by notching an automatic qualifying mark January 20.
The jumping corps also came up big for the Husky men as senior Sean Steele (Orting, WA), junior/transfer Tyriff Rudder (San Diego, Calif.) and junior Marcus Kelly (Seattle, WA) all won their respective events, the high jump, long jump and triple jump.
Reaching Mountain Pacific Conference qualifying marks on the men's side were (not including those already qualified): Hooker (200m), Cristian Adams (400m), Ryan Graham (400m), Anthony Walters (400m), John Snyder (800m), Rudder (high jump & triple jump), Marcus Kelly (triple jump) and Craig Downey (weight throw).
Full results of the Air Force Classic are available on the Air Force web site at: www.airforcesports.com.
Washington's next team competition will be Friday and Saturday, Feb, 9-10 at the Idaho Scoring Meet in Moscow, Idaho.
*Hooker Qualifies for NCAA Indoor Championships (Take Two)
Senior sprinter Ja'Warren Hooker earned himself another shot at an NCAA title by reaching the provisional qualifying standard in the 200-meter dash. In the instance that not enough individuals reach the automatic qualifying standards, those who have reached the provisional mark will be added in order of performance. Hooker has already secured himself a spot at the NCAA Championships by automatically qualifying for the meet in the 55m dash, Jan. 20. This year's NCAAs are set for March 9-10 in Fayetteville, Ark.
Husky Top Finishers
Feb. 3, Air Force Classic, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. Kelsey Sheppard 60m hurdles 8.69
2. Zee Ogarro Long jump 18-0 1/4
2. MerryJane Bendico Pole Vault 11-9 3/4
2. Distance Medley Relay Team 12:58.29
2. 4x400-meter Relay Team 3:51.23
3. Chelsie Pentz 400m dash 57.09
3. Shavon Hawkins 60m hurdles 9.20
3. Jamara Smith Long jump 17-10 3/4
3. Brittiny Roberts Triple jump 37-1 1/4
4. Kelsey Sheppard 60m dash 7.82
4. Zee Ogarro 200m dash 26.21
4. Kara Syrdal Mile run 5:21.84
4. Zee Ogarro 60m hurdles 9.29
5. Tesha Moore 400m dash 59.06
5. Shavon Hawkins 60m dash 7.84
5. Kate Spigel 3,000m 11:16.32
5. Brittiny Roberts Long jump 17-2 3/4
5. Jamara Smith Triple jump 35-10 1/2
5. Searan Salibian Shot put 40-10 1/4
1. Ja'Warren Hooker 60m dash 6.61
1. Sean Steele High jump 6-8 3/4
1. Tyriff Rudder Long jump 22-7 1/4
1. Marcus Kelly Triple jump 48-11
2. Ja'Warren Hooker 200m dash 20.99
2. David Bazzi Mile run 4:16.07
2. Brad Walker Pole vault 16-8 3/4
3. John Snyder 800m run 1:54.48
3. Marc James 60m hurdles 8.29
3. Distance Medley Relay Team 10:52.50
3. Cory Christianson High jump 6-4 3/4
3. Marcus Kelly High jump 6-4 3/4
3. Tyriff Rudder Triple jump 48-1 1/4
3. 4x400-meter Relay Team 3:20.94
4. Craig Downey Wt. Throw 49-6 1/4
5. Frank Remund High jump 6-2 3/4
5. Doug Jackson Shot put 47-0 3/4