No. 23 Men's Tennis Defeats Utah, 5-2
Feb. 6, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The 23rd-ranked Arizona State men's tennis team (4-1, 1-1 Pac-10) defeated the University of Utah (1-2), 5-2, today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils took the early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point.
ASU's tandem of Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger claimed the first match on the No. 1 court with a 8-6 victory over Nicholas Yip and Kevin Zenger. Jarrod Eckermann and Pim Van Mele won the doubles point for the Sun Devils on the second court with an 8-4 victory over Utah's Daniel Carlsson and David Mercier. Utah's sole win came on the No. 3 court where Tyler Poulson and Corrie Scheepers defeated ASU's Mirza Duranovic and Hayden Hodges, 8-3.
In singles action, the Sun Devils won four of the six matches. Van Mele came off first on the No. 4 court when he quickly defeated Utah's Carlsson, 6-0, 6-3. Klinger, on the second court, shortly followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Yip.
The dual was clinched on the No. 1 court when ASU's Nic Dubey handed Mercier a straight sets, 6-3, 6-3 loss. On court No. 4, Duranovic lost the first set, but came back to take the next two sets over the Utes Zenger, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. Utah secured two singles wins at the No. 5 and 6 slots.
Up next, Arizona State will head up to Seattle, Washington to compete in the Washington Quad, February 11 and 12. UW, Pepperdine and TCU round out the teams.
1. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. (37) Yip/Zenger (Utah), 8-6
2. Eckermann/Van Mele (ASU) def. Carlsson/Mercier (Utah), 8-4
3. Poulson/Scheepers (Utah) def. Duranovic/Hayden Hodges (ASU), 8-3
1. Nic Dubey (ASU) def. David Mercier (Utah), 6-3, 6-3
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Nicholas Yip (Utah), 6-4, 6-1
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Kevin Zenger (Utah), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Daniel Carlsson (Utah), 6-0, 6-3
5. Corrie Scheepers (Utah) def. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU), 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-3
6. Tyler Poulson (Utah) def. Shaul Aloni (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive