Tennis Holds On For 7-0 Sweep Over San Diego
Feb. 6, 2001
Los Angeles, Calif. -- The No. 24 USC men's tennis team held on to sweep the 50th-ranked San Diego Toreros 7-0 Tuesday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Trojans improve to 4-1, while San Diego (2-1) drops its first match of the season.
Ahead 1-0 after winning all three doubles matches, USC earned victories at No. 1 and No. 6 to increase its lead to 3-0. Following a 7-6 tiebreaker victory in his first set, the Trojans' Ruben Torres cinched the match for USC in his second set with a final 6-3 score.
Assured the win, USC still fought to hold on to matches at the No. 2, 3 and 4 positions. At No. 3, Damien Spizzo used a come-from-behind effort to top USD's Jason Pongsrikul 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 and increase the lead 5-0. Trojans Ryan Moore and Nick Rainey were also pushed to three sets after winning the first, but eventually posted nearly identical wins 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 over USD's Juan Cerda and 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 over Ricardo Rizo.
The Trojans return to the court on Thursday, Feb. 8, when they host Georgia Tech at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Rizo/Cerda (USD) - 8-3
(2) Park/Spizzo (USC) def. Tangefjord/Taylor (USD) - 9-8
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Pongsrikul/Burghardt (USD) - 8-6
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Mattias Tangefjord (USD) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Juan Cerda (USD) - 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
(3) Damien Spiezo (USC) def. Jason Pongsrikul (USD) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
(4) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Ricardo Rizo (USD) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Ted Burghardt (USD) - 7-6, 6-3
(6) Parker Collins (USC) def. Stephen Taylor (USD) - 6-3, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive