Husky Track Teams Conclude Second Day in Idaho
Feb. 10, 2001
SEATTLE -- The second day of the McDonalds Scoring meet in Moscow, Idaho, brought two Husky men closer to an NCAA Indoor title and earned the UW men and women a combined four event titles.
The Husky men's team took four event titles including two NCAA qualifying wins.
Senior sprinter Ja'Warren Hooker (Ellensburg, Wash.) secured himself a chance to bring home two NCAA titles and a place in the 200m dash at the NCAA IndoorChampionships by reaching the automatic qualifying standard in the event with a winning time of 20.80. Hooker had provisionally qualified in the event at the Air ForceClassic last weekend and had already automatically qualified in the 60m.
Senior distance runner David Bazzi (Seattle, Wash./O'Dea), the UW record holder in the 5,000m, earned a provisional qualifying mark in the 3,000m winning the event with a time of 8:07.05.
Junior/transfer John Snyder (Bellevue, Wash.) won the 800m, while the Husky 4x400-meter relay team took that event by shaving six seconds off its season-best time.
On the women's side, day two of the meet in Idaho brought five Mountain Pacific qualifications, but a runner-up spot by the 4x400 relay team was all the UW squad could muster. One other highlight for the Huskies was that red-shirt sophomore Brittiny Roberts (Fresno, Calif.) leaped nearly two feet farther than her season best en route to a fourth-place finish in the triple jump.
New qualifiers for the Mountain Pacific Championships were: senior Chelsie Pentz (200m), sophomore Kate Bradshaw and senior Kara Syrdal (3,000m), along with junior Susan Werner and Elizabeth Rogers (800m).
Team scores were unavailable at time of release. Full results from the McDonalds Scoring Invitational are available at www.its.uidaho.edu/athletics.
The Huskies return to Idaho for the Vandal Invitational next Friday and Saturday, Feb. 16-17.
*Going to the NCAAs
Seniors Ja'Warren Hooker and David Bazzi qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships with winning performances at the McDonalds Scoring Invitational Saturday. Hooker reached the automatic qualifying standard in the 200m, recording a time of 20.80 in the event. Hooker had already secured himself a spot at the NCAAs in the 60m notching an automatic qualifying performance earlier in the season.
Bazzi reached the provisional qualifying standard in the 3,000 meters recording a winning time of 8:07.05. If not enough athletes reach the automatic qualifying standard, athletes who have reached the provisional mark will be added in order of performance until a full field is attained.
Husky Top Finishers
Feb. 10, McDonalds Scoring Invite, Moscow, Idaho
2. 4x400 Meter Relay Team, 3:45.00
3. Chelsie Pentz, 200m dash, 24.99
4. Brittiny Roberts, Triple jump, 39-0 1/2
4. Kate Bradshaw, 3,000m, 10:09.38
5. Kelsey Sheppard, 55m hurdles, 8.33
5. MerryJane Bendico, Pole vault, 11-5 3/4
6. Alexis Jaime, Pole vault,10-11 3/4
6. Susan Werner, 800m, 2:18.52
7. Kara Syrdal, 3,000m, 10:26.11
8. Searan Salibian, Shot put, 44-6
8. Zee Ogarro, 55m hurdles, 8.62
8. Elizabeth Rogers, 800m, 2:19.54
1. Ja'Warren Hooker, 200m dash, 20.80
1. David Bazzi, 3,000m, 8:07.05
1. John Snyder, 800m, 1:53.41
1. 4x400 Meter Relay Team, 3:14.70
2. Jason Fayant, 3,000m, 8:27.00
3. Marcus Kelly, Triple jump, 48-10
4. Sean Steele, High jump, 6-8 3/4
5. Marc James, 55m hurdles, 7.90
6. Jesse Giordano, 55m hurdles, 7.98
6. Tyriff Rudder, Triple jump, 44-6
6. Frank Remund, High jump, 6-6 3/4
6. Mike Hill, 3,000m, 8:32.21
7. Cory Christianson, High jump, 6-4 3/4
7. Doug Jackson, Shot put, 47-9
8. Morgan Thompson, 3,000m, 8:35.44
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive