Husky Tracksters Complete Day One of Idaho meet.
Feb. 10, 2001
SEATTLE -- Day one at the Vandal Scoring Invitational proved to be well worth the trip east for the Husky track teams as they claimed top places in four events and five new athletes reached Mountain Pacific qualifying standards.
The Husky men's team boasted three event winners and one new qualifier to the Mountain Pacific Conference meet.
Sophomore pole vaulter Brad Walker (Spokane, Wash.) added nearly two inches to his already provisional qualifying mark in the pole vault en route to taking top honors in the event. Senior sprinter Ja'Warren Hooker (Ellensburg, Wash.) won the 60m dash by surpassing his automatic qualifying mark in the event. The distance medley relay team shaved more than 44 seconds off its season-best time to take that event.
Marks continued to improve for the UW squad. Junior Tyriff Rudder (San Diego, Calif.) leaped more than nine inches farther than his season-best in the long jump, whilesophomore Mat Schwinn (Castle Rock, Wash.) hurled the weight three and a half feet farther than his season-best mark.
Freshman Brad Goodrich qualified for the Mountain Pacific Championships in the 400m in his first competition of the season.
On the women's side, junior Kelsey Sheppard (Bellevue, Wash.) was the lone event winner, taking the 400m, but she and three teammates reached Mt. Pacific qualifying marks in their respective events. Reaching those marks were: sophomores Jamara Smith (60m dash) and Arlene Bledsoe (400m) along with senior Kara Syrdal (mile).
The distance medley relay team knocked 31 seconds off its best mark of the year, while junior Zee Ogarro tacked 10 1/2 inches onto her season-best long jump mark.
Day two of the McDonalds Scoring Invitational begins at 9 a.m. Saturday in Moscow, Idaho.
Husky Top Finishers
Feb. 9, McDonalds Scoring Invite, Moscow, Idaho
1. Kelsey Sheppard, 400m run, 55.72
3. Chelsie Pentz, 400m run, 56.23
3. Kara Syrdal, Mile run, 5:08.55
3. Zee Ogarro, Long jump, 18-10 3/4
4. Tesha Moore, 400m run, 57.56
4. Distance Medley Relay Team, 12:26.62
5. Jamara Smith, 60m dash, 7.73
6. Arlene Bledsoe, 400m run, 58.40
7. Susan Werner, Mile run, 5:15.53
7. Jamara Smith, Long jump, 18-3 1/4
1. Ja'Warren Hooker, 60m dash, 6.57
1. Brad Walker, Pole vault, 17-4 1/2
1. Distance Medley Relay Team, 10:05.28
3. Cristian Adams, 400m run, 49.62
4. Morgan Thompson, Mile run, 4:18.07
4. Tyriff Rudder, Long jump, 23-4 1/2
4. Owen Iddings, Pole vault, 14-7 1/4
5. Mat Schwinn, Wt. Throw, 52-0
6. Brad Goodrich, 400m run, 49.86
6. Todd Arnold, Mile run, 4:19.70
6. Craig Downey, Wt. Throw, 50-0 3/4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive