No. 21 Men's Tennis Falls To No. 7 TCU, 4-2
Feb. 11, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. - The 21st-ranked Arizona State men's tennis team (4-2) put up a good fight, but dropped a 4-2 dual to seventh-ranked TCU this afternoon in the first day of action at the 2001 Husky Invitational in Seattle, Washington.
TCU won the doubles point, while earning singles victories from three players. ASU's tandem of Jarrod eckermann and Pim Van mele won the sole doubles match in a tiebreaker at the No. 2 spot, 9-8.
In singles action, ASU's Nic Dubey picked up a solid win on the No. 1 court where he defeated 20th-ranked Esteban Carril in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. Mirza Duranovic, at the No.3 slot, posted ASU's other point as he defeated Scott Eddins also in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1.
Competition was ended after TCU claimed the win on the No. 5 court. Van Mele's matches did not finish.
Up next, Arizona State will take on the loser of the Washington/Pepperdine dual on Monday at either 10 a.m. or 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time.
1. Nic Dubey (ASU) d. Esteban Carril (TCU) (6-2, 6-2)
2. Trace Fielding (TCU) d. Matt Klinger (ASU) (6-2, 6-4)
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) d. Scott Eddins (TCU) (6-4, 6-1)
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) vs. Toni Gordon (TCU) DNF
5. Daniel Wajnberg (TCU) d. Olivier Charroin (ASU) (6-4. 5-7, 6-3)
6. Jimmy Haney (TCU) d. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) (6-2, 7-5)
1. Fielding/Haney (TCU) d. Bowen/Klinger (ASU) (8-6)
2. Van Mele/Eckermann (ASU) d. Eddins/Sebastian Ianneriello (TCU) (9-8)
3. Carril/Gordon (TCU) d. Dubey/Charroin (ASU) (8-6)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive