Cougs Stomp Rebels
Feb. 11, 2001
LAS VEGAS, Nev.- The No. 58 Cougars took home their first win of the spring season, as they downed the No. 67 Rebels of the University of Nevada-Las Vegas (UNLV) 6-1 in a dual hosted by the Rebels at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
The Cougars began the competition with a clean sweep of all three doubles matches, giving them a 1-0 lead over the Rebels going into the singles competition.
The Cougars then dominated the singles courts as they took five of the six singles victories.
WSU's only loss of the day came at the No. 2 singles position where freshman Zorana Roganovic suffered a narrow defeat at the hands of UNLV's No. 39 Agnieszka Abram 7-6, 6-1.
'We are very pleased with our play today,' WSU head coach Cari Groce said. 'As a coaching staff we were a little nervous going into the match after suffering four losses, but the player came out and played with confidence. Our level of play, and the level of play we are accustomed to, was too much for our opponents. We played hard on the doubles courts, and stepped up on the singles courts as well. '
WSU improved its record to 1-4 overall while UNLV dropped to 2-4.
The Cougars will have a week off to enjoy their victory before heading to Lewiston to host Hawaii, Utah and Boise State at the Lewis Clark State College Tennis Center February 22,23,24, respectively.
1. #51 Erica Perkins (WSU) def. Paulina Janus (UNLV) 6-3, 6-2
2. #39 Agnieszka Abram (UNLV) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Ana Moura (WSU) def. Marianne Bakken (UNLV) 6-4, 6-4
4. Tamara Filipovic (WSU) def. Urska Radanovic (UNLV) 6-4, 6-2
5. Moniek van de Ven (WSU) def. Amy Hadziosmanovic (UNLV) 6-1, 7-5
6. Lorena Arias (WSU) def. Britta Gabl (UNLV) 6-2, 6-4
1. Perkins/Filipovic (WSU) def. Janus/Bakken (UNLV) 8-2
2. Anna Dybicz/Moura (WSU) def. Abram/Hadziosmanovic (UNLV)8-2
3. Arias/van de Ven (WSU) def. Radanovic/Gabl (UNLV) 8-2
TOMORROW | 12:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive