No. 21 Men's Tennis Falls In Close Dual To No. 12 Pepperdine, 4-3
Feb. 12, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The 21st-ranked Arizona State men's tennis team (4-3) came close to pulling off the upset over 12th-ranked Pepperdine, but fell just one match short by a score of 4-3 during the final day of the Husky Invitational in Seattle, Washington.
The Sun Devils gained the early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. ASU's No. 1 team of Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger knocked off the 20th-ranked duo of Sebastien Graeff and Stefan Suter, 8-6. The Sun Devils clinched the point on the third court where Nic Dubey and Mirza Duranovic defeated Ryan Redondo and John Chamakoon, 8-6.
In singles action, the Sun Devils won two of the six matches with two others extending into three sets, including a third set tiebreaker.
On the No. 2 court, Klinger won in straight sets over Suter, 7-6, 7-5, while Duranovic continued his strong performance with a 6-3, 6-4 straight sets victory over Graeff.
The matches on the No. 5 and 6 courts both went into three sets with Pepperdine coming out with both wins to secure the dual victory. On the fifth court, ASU's Olivier Charroin was narrowly defeated in a third-set tiebreaker by Chase Exon, 6-7, 6-4, 7-6.
Up next, Arizona State will host Northern Arizona on Wednesday, February 24 at 1:30 p.m.
1. Al Garland (PU) d. Nic Dubey (ASU) (6-4, 6-4)
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) d. Stefan Suter (PU) (7-6, 7-5)
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) d. Sebastien Graeff (PU) (6-3, 6-4)
4. Gerold Wiring (PU) d. Pim Van Mele (ASU) (6-2, 6-2)
5. Chase Exon (PU) d. Olivier Charroin (ASU) (6-7, 6-4, 7-6)
6. Steve Racioppi (PU) d. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) (3-6, 6-1, 6-4)
1. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) d. Suter/Graeff (PU) (8-6)
2. Exon/Garland (PU) d. Van Mele/Eckermann (ASU) (8-2)
3. Dubey/Duranovic (ASU) d. Redondo/John Chamakoon (PU) (8-6)
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:30pm PTLive