Bruins Cruise Past The Aztecs, 4-0
Feb. 16, 2001
Seattle, WA -- UCLA's men's tennis team defeated San Diego State, 4-0 in the first round of the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships this afternoon at the Seattle Tennis Club in Seattle, Wash.
The Bruins opened the match by winning two of three doubles matches to claim the doubles point. Marcin Matkowski teamed with Travis Rettenmaier at No. 2 for a victory, while the tandem of Tobias Clemens and Lassi Ketola, won at the No 3 position. As soon as it was determined that UCLA won the doubles point, the match at No. 1 featuring Jean-Julien Rojer and Jean-Noel Grinda was suspended.
In singles, the Bruins were equally impressive as Clemens upended Travis Hasson 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3. Matkowski picked up a victory at No. 2, defeating Matt Bere in straight sets by identical scores of 6-2. At No. 5, Erfan Djahangiri downed Adam Webster in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4 to seal the victory. Rojer and Grinda, playing at No 1 and No 2 respectively, had their matches suspended.
The Bruins return to action tomorrow to face Texas A&M in the second round. The match is scheduled to begin at noon.
UCLA 4, San Diego State 0
1. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) vs. Oliver Maiberger (SDSU) DNF
2. Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA) vs. Valentino Pest (SDSU) DNF
3. Tobias Clemens (UCLA) d. Travis Hasson (SDSU) (6-1, 6-1)
4. Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) d. Matt Bere (SDSU) (6-2, 6-2)
5. Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) d. Adam Webster (SDSU) (6-1, 6-4)
6. Travis Rettenmaier (UCLA) vs. Shawn Hiatt (SDSU) DNF
1. Grinda/Rojer (UCLA) vs. Maiberger/Hasson (SDSU) DNF
2. Matkowski/Rettenmaier (UCLA) d. Pest/Hiatt (SDSU) (8-1)
3. Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) d. Bere/Webster (SDSU) (8-5)
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive