Bruins Upset by Northwestern, 7-0
Feb. 16, 2001
Madison, Wis. -- The seventh-ranked UCLA women's tennis team, playing without No. 1 player Sara Walker, was upset Thursday by Northwestern, 7-0 in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoors in Madison, Wis.
Without Walker, who did not make the trip because of a stress reaction in her left foot, UCLA was forced to move everyone up a spot in the lineup. Northwestern capitalized, winning the doubles point and taking all six singles matches.
Catherine Hawley was the only Bruin to win a set on the day, extending Northwestern's Colleen Cheng to three sets before falling 3-6, 6-1, 6-2.
1. Cheng/Rush (NU) def. Fisher/Marinova (UCLA) 9-7
2. Donahue/Fritz-Krockow (UCLA) def. Duffy/Piriou (NU) 9-8(8)
3. Jackson/Petrutiu (NU) def. Hawley/Godbey (UCLA) 8-4
Northwestern Wins Doubles Point
1. Colleen Cheng (NU) def. (97)Catherine Hawley (UCLA) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. (43) Lia Jackson (NU) def. Petya Marinova (UCLA) 7-6(6), 6-4
3. Shannon Duffy (NU) def. Lauren Fisher (UCLA) 6-2, 6-3
4. Marine Piriou (NU) def. Mariko Fritz-Krockow (UCLA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Simona Petruitiu (NU) def. Jennifer Donahue (UCLA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jessica Rush (NU) def. Chelsea Godbey (UCLA) 6-2, 6-1
Final Score: Northwestern 7 , UCLA 0