No. 3 UCLA Downs No. 6 Texas A&M, 4-3
Feb. 16, 2001
Seattle, WA -- UCLA's men's tennis team defeated Texas A&M, 4-3 in the quarterfinal round of the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships this afternoon at the Seattle Tennis Club in Seattle, Wash.
The Bruins got out the gate quickly as UCLA won two of three doubles matches to earn the first point of the match. UCLA's No. 1 team of Jean-Noel Grinda and Jean-Julien Rojer defeated Shoun Madden and David Caradima, 8-5, while the tandem of Tobias Clemens and Lassi Ketola, playing at No. 3, posted the other victory.
The singles competition was a fierce battle as Texas A& M pulled ahead, 3-2 after Madden defeated Rojer at No. 1, 6-4, 7-5. Sophomore Erfan Djahangiri put in a clutch performance at No. 5, as he defeated Tres Davis in straight sets by identical scores of 7-5 to even the match at three. With UCLA's fate hanging in the balance, Grinda came from behind after dropping the first set to defeat Ryan Newport, 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 2 position to clinch the win for the Bruins.
The Bruins return to action tomorrow to face Texas Christian in the semifinals. The squads last squared-off against each other at the 1992 ITA National Team Indoor Championships when TCU upset the top-seeded Bruins 4-2 in thequarterfinals.
UCLA 4, Texas A&M 3
1. Shuon Madden (TAM) d. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) (6-4, 7-5)
2. Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA) d. Ryan Newport (TAM) (5-7, 6-3, 6-3)
3. Tobias Clemens (UCLA) d. Cody Hubbell (TAM) (6-2, 6-3)
4. Dumitru Caradima (TAM) d. Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) (6-3, 7-6)
5. Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) d. Tres Davis (TAM) (7-5, 7-5)
6. Nathan Price (TAM) d. Lassi Ketola (UCLA) (6-2, 1-6, 6-3)
1. Grinda/Rojer (UCLA) d. Madden/Caradima (TAM) (8-5)
2. Newport/Davis (TAM) d. Matkowski/Rettenmaier (UCLA) (8-4)
3. Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) d. Hubbell/Jarin Skube (TAM) (8-6)
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive