No. 3 UCLA Downs No. 6 Texas Christian, 4-2
Feb. 17, 2001
Seattle, WA -- UCLA men's tennis moved one step closer to claiming its seventh indoor title by defeating No 6 Texas Christian, 4-2 in the semifinal round of the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships this afternoon at the Seattle Tennis Club in Seattle, Wash. The Bruins reached the semis after defeating 10th ranked Texas A&M yesterday, 4-3.
The Bruins continued their trend of getting off to a fast start by winning two of three doubles matches to earn the first point of the match. UCLA's No. 1 team of Jean-Noel Grinda and Jean-Julien Rojer defeated Scott Eddins and Sebastian Iannariello, 8-4, while the tandem of Marcin Matkowski and Travis Rettenmaier, playing at No. 2, posted the other victory.
In singles, Erfan Djahangiri got the Bruins next point after upending Jimmy Haney, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 5. The Bruins next point came courtesy of Matkowski, who defeated Toni Gordon in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 4 position. Texas Christian's two points came at the No. 1 spot, as Rojer fell to Esteban Carril in straight sets by identical scores of 6-3, and at No. 6, as Rettenmair also fell in straight sets to Daniel Wajnberg, 6-4, 6-4. UCLA clinched the match after Tobias Clemens downed Scott Eddins at No. 3, 7-6, 6-2.
The Bruins return to action tomorrow to face the winner of Duke and Stanford in the title games at noon. UCLA has reached the finals four out of the last five years, winning three titles. The Bruins last won the team title in 1999, defeating Illinois, 4-1. If Stanford advances, the title game will be a rematch of last year's final. UCLA, competing without Grinda who was inactive due to injury, fell to Stanford, 4-3.
UCLA 4, TCU 2
1. Esteban Carril (TCU) d. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) (6-3, 6-3)
2. Trace Fielding (TCU) vs. Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA) DNF
3. Tobias Clemens (UCLA) d. Scott Eddins (TCU) (7-6, 6-2)
4. Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) d. Toni Gordon (TCU) (6-3, 6-2)
5. Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) d. Jimmy Haney (TCU) (6-3, 6-4)
6. Daniel Wajnberg (TCU) d. Travis Rettenmaier (6-4, 6-4)
1. Grinda/Rojer (UCLA) d. Haney/Fielding (TCU) (8-4)
2. Matkowski/Rettenmaier (UCLA) d. Eddins/Sebastian Iannariello (TCU) (8-4)
3. Gordon/Carril (TCU) vs. Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) DNF
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive