Trojans Down UC Irvine, 6-1
Feb. 16, 2001
Los Angeles -- The No. 23 USC men's tennis team (6-1) won five of six singles matches to earn a 6-1 dual match victory over UC Irvine (4-1) Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
The Trojans came out strong, sweeping all three of the doubles matches to take an early 1-0 advantage. USC then extended its lead to 3-0 with victories by Andrew Park and Ryan Moore in the No. 1 and No. 2 singles positions. With a commanding 3-1 edge, the Trojans needed only one more win in singles play to defeat the Anteaters which Ruben Torres posted at the fifth court with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over UCI's Greg Biorkman.
USC returns to the court on Wednesday (Feb. 21) against Fresno State. The match will be played at Marks Tennis Stadium and is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m.
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Schweizer/Ma (UCI) - 9-7
(2) Park/Spizzo (USC) def. Endrikat/Matthew (UCI) - 8-4
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Williams/Garcia (UCI) - 8-3
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Oliver Schweizer (UCI) - 6-1, 6-3
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. David Matthew (UCI) - 6-2, 6-2
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Chris Ma (UCI) - 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
(4) Jonathan Endrikat (UCI) def. Nicholas Rainey (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Greg Biorkman (UCI) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Parker Collins (USC) def. Renouk Wijemanne (UCI) - 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 1/26 | 6:30pm PTLive