Women's Tennis Eliminated At ITA Team Indoors
Feb. 17, 2001
Madison, Wisc. - Ninth-ranked USC women's tennis (6-2) was eliminated from the 2000 USTA/ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships with a 7-0 loss to top-ranked and undefeated Stanford Friday afternoon at the University of Wisconsin's A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
The Women of Troy were shutout in the match and only able to push one contest into three sets. At the sixth court, Tiffany Brymer jumped to a quick lead with a 6-4 win in the first set, but surrendered the match victory to Stanford's Emilia Anderson by dropping the final two sets 6-4, 6-1.
Stanford's Laura Granville won her 57th straight match and tied the NCAA record by defeating Jewel Peterson 6-0, 6-2 at the top spot. The win equaled Patty Fendick-McCain's record while at Stanford in 1986-87. Granville and top-ranked Stanford advanced to tomorrow's semifinals.
The Women of Troy return home to host San Diego on Feb. 22 at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USTA/ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships * Feb. 15-18, 2001 * Madison, Wisc.
(1) Barnikow/Kalvaria (Stanford) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-4
(2) Granville/Lastra (Stanford) def. Esmero/Loyola (USC) - 8-1
(3) Pestieau/Tokuda (Stanford) def. Bayani/Diaz (USC) - 8-1
(1) Laure Granville (Stanford) def. Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-0, 6-2
(2) Lauren Kalvaria (Stanford) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
(3) Gabriela Lastra (Stanford) def. Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
(4) Lauren Barnikow (Stanford) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
(5) Keiko Tokuda (Stanford) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Emilia Anderson (Stanford) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
Final Score: Stanford - 7, USC - 0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:30am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive