Tenth-Ranked Women's Tennis Hammers Harvard
Feb. 19, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. - The tenth-ranked Arizona State (6-1, 2-1) women's tennis team handed Harvard University (3-4) a 7-0 loss en route to the Devils' fourth consecutive sweep over opponents. ASU has swept its opponents by a 7-0 score during five of seven outings thus far this season.
In doubles play, ASU earned its team point by sweeping all three matches. Celena McCoury and Mhairi Brown improved to 5-2 in dual action with an 8-1 win over Harvard's Fleur Broughton and Andrea Magyera on the No. 1 court. ASU's Adria Engel/Karin Palme combo improved their dual play record to 6-1, and the Cindy Sureephong/Megan Yeats duo jumped to 7-0 with another double victory.
In singles action, ASU failed to drop a set again for the third consecutive outing. No. 45-ranked Adria Engel defeated Harvard's Sanaz Ghazal, 7-5, 6-0, on the No. 1 court to improve her dual record to 5-2. Playing consistently on the No. 3 court, sophomore Megan Yeats notched another win to improve her overall record to 15-3 and to remain undefeated in dual action.
The Devils will travel to Tucson this Saturday to take on the No. 23-ranked Arizona Wildcats at 1 p.m. (MST).
DOUBLES:1. McCoury/Brown (ASU) def. Broughton/Magyera (HU), 8-1
2. Palme/Engel (ASU) def. Ghazal/Ajilore (HU), 8-4
3. Yeats/Sureephong (ASU) def. McGinty/Naqushbandi (HU), 8-5
SINGLES:1. (45) Adria Engel (ASU) def. Sanaz Ghazal (HU), 7-5, 6-0
2. Karin Palme (ASU) def. Fleur Broughton (HU), 6-0, 6-1
3. (70) Megan Yeats (ASU) def. Lara Naqushbandi (HU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Faye DeVera (ASU) def. Lola Ajilore (HU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Sarah McGinty (HU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Jennie Timoney (HU), 6-4, 6-4