No. 24 Men's Tennis Shuts Out Northern Arizona, 7-0
Feb. 21, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- It wasn't an easy homecoming for former Arizona State assistant coach Steve Bickman, now Northern Arizona's head coach, as for the 28th consecutive time, the 24th-ranked Arizona State men's tennis team (5-3, 1-1 Pac-10) defeated Northern Arizona (3-7), 7-0 today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils swept all three doubles matches to take the early one point lead. Jarrod Eckermann and Pim Van Mele finished first on the No. 2 court where they handed NAU's Jeff Johnson and Adrian Venturi an 8-3 loss.
In singles action, the Sun Devils won every set except one, where on the No. 1 court Nic Dubey was extended into three sets before defeating Cisneros, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. Olivier
Charroin was the first match completed as he defeated NAU's Venturi, 6-2, 6-0. The match was clinched on the No. 6 court where Eckermann handed Johnson a 6-3, 6-2 loss.
ASU's Mirza Duranovic tallied his team-leading 18th singles win as he downed Erik Karlsson on the third court, 6-2, 6-3.
Up next, Arizona State will host the University of Arizona on Saturday at 12:00 p.m.
1. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. Cisneros/Volkov (NAU), 8-6
2. Eckermann/Van Mele (ASU) def. Johnson/Venturi (NAU), 8-3
3. Charroin/Dubey (ASU) def. Karlsson/Lundstrom (NAU), 8-5
1. Nic Dubey (ASU) def. Rodolfo Cisneros (NAU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Daniel Lundstrom (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Erik Karlsson (NAU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Ivan Volkov (NAU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Adrian Venturi (NAU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. Jeff Johnson (NAU), 6-3, 6-2