Women's Tennis Sweeps Toreros 7-0
Feb. 22, 2001
Los Angeles -- 12th-ranked USC women's tennis swept San Diego 7-0 this afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 7-3 overall, while the Toreros fall to 4-2.
USC earned a 1-0 lead after claiming two of three doubles matches to start the dual. The Trojans' Anita Loyola was the first to add a singles points when she swept USD's Belinda Kelly 6-2, 6-0. Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer followed with victories at No. 1 and 5 over Heather Polumbus and Krista Manning to secure a USC victory.
With the match in hand, Maureen Diaz and Bernadette Bayani fought through a third set to post their wins. Diaz claimed a 10-point tiebreaker to defeat Anja Tragardh 6-3, 7-6, 10-4, while Bayani defeated Paola Arrangoiz with a come-from-behind effort 5-7, 7-6, 6-2. Krissy Hamilton-Heinberg, who replaced Melissa Esmero (sick) in the lineup, easily claimed a 6-2, 6-1 decision at No. 6.
USC returns to the court tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. to host conference foe Oregon.
USC 7, San Diego 0
(1) Manning/Polumbus (USD) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-6
(2) Bayani/Diaz (USC) def. Arrangoiz/Tragardh (USD) - 8-4
(3) Christian/Loyola (USC) def. Fomsgaard/Lee (USD) - 8-5
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Heather Polumbus (USD) - 6-1, 6-3
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Belinda Kelly (USD) - 6-2, 6-0
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Anja Tragardh (USD) - 6-3, 7-6 (TB10-4)
(4) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Paola Arrangoiz (USD) - 5-7, 7-6, 6-2
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Krista Manning (USD) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
(6) Krissy Hamilton-Heinberg (USC) def. Catherine Heppell (USD) - 6-2, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive