No. 24 Sun Devils Defeat Arizona 5-2
Feb. 24, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. - The 24rd-ranked Arizona State men's tennis team (6-3, 2-1 Pac-10) defeated the University of Arizona (6-3, 0-2 Pac-10), 5-2, today at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
The Sun Devils took the early advantage by winning all three of doubles matches for the first point. ASU's tandem of Mitchell Bowen and Matt Klinger claimed the first match on the No. 1 court with a 8-6 victory over Steven Capriati and Carl Hagman. Jarrod Eckermann and Pim Van Mele won the doubles point for the Sun Devils on the second court with a 9-7 victory over Arizona's Tom Lloyd and Whi Kim. Arizona State's third doubles victory came on the No. 3 court where Nic Dubey and Olivier Charroin shutout Roeland Brateanu and Arnaud Agniel, 8-0.
In singles action, the Sun Devils won four of the six matches. ASU's Klinger came off first on the No. 2 court when he quickly defeated Arizona's Hagman, 6-3, 6-4. Sophomore Van Mele, on the fourth court, shortly followed with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Kim. The dual was clinched on the No. 5 court when ASU's Charroin handed Jari Niskala a straight sets, 7-6(3), 6-1 loss. Arizona State's final win of the match came late in the dual on court No. 3 when Mirza Duranovic came back after loosing the first set to defeat Arizona's Lloyd 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Arizona secured two singles wins at the No. 1 and No. 6 slots. Arizona's Capriati defeated lone ASU senior Dubey 6-4, 6-2 and in the longest game of the dual Brateanu defeated Eckermann 6-4, 6-7(7), 2-6.
Up next, Arizona State will take on Layola Marymount at 1:30 on February 28, 2001 at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. Mitchell Bowen/Klinger (ASU) def. Capriati/Hagman (UofA), 8-6
2. Eckermann/Van Mele (ASU) def. Lloyd/Kim (UofA), 9-7
3. Dubey/Charroin (ASU) def. Brateanu/Arnaud Agniel (UofA), 8-0
1. Steven Capriati (UofA) def. Nic Dubey (ASU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Matt Klinger (ASU) def. Carl Hagman (Uof A), 6-3, 6-4
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Tom Lloyd (UofA), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Pim Van Mele (ASU) def. Whi Kim (UofA), 6-2, 6-3
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Jari Niskala (UofA), 7-6(3), 6-1
6. Roeland Brateanu (UofA) def. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU), 6-4, 6-7(7), 2-6