Laura Granville Ranked #1 In Newest ITA Women's Tennis Singles Rankings
Feb. 26, 2001
PRINCETON, N.J. - Stanford's Laura Granville is No. 1 in the latest WingspanBank.com national singles rankings administered and released today by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA). In women's doubles, the Cardinal's duo of Lauren Barnikow and Lauren Kalvaria are also No. 1.
Granville is the third new No. 1 in the women's rankings in asmany ranking periods. She overtakes Duke's Ansley Cargill by a .59 margin forthe top spot this week. Following Granville and Cargill in the top five are:Michelle Dasso of Notre Dame, Nataly Cahana of Old Dominion and Bea Bielik ofWake Forest.
Granville is 24-1 this season and moves into the top spot despite having herrecord 58-match win streak ended on Feb. 18. On Feb. 4 she topped Duke'sCargill in the final of the Rolex National Indoor Championships, the thirdleg of the ITA Grand Slam.
There are two new tandems atop the doubles rankings. Stanford's Barnikow and Kalvaria are No. 1 on the women's side, while Virginia's Huntley Montgomery and Brian Vahaly regained the top spot in the men's rankings.
In men's singles, Oskar Johansson of Arkandad maintains a slim margin over SMU's Genius Chidzikwe at No. 1 in the men's singles rankings with a 44.74 average to Chidzikwe's 44.02. Rounding out the top five are Georgia's Bo Hodge, Stanford's Alex Kim and Duke's Ramsey Smith. Kim is currently 11-2 on the season for the second-ranked Cardinal men. In men's doubles, Cardinal sophomores Scott Lipsky and David Martin have jumped from 10th to fourth.
The complete WingspanBank.com Top 100 for singles and Top 50 for doubles canbe found on the ITA website, www.ITAtennis.com. The individual rankings arereleased on a bi-weekly basis. The national team rankings are released everyWednesday.
Men's Singles Top 10
1. Oskar Johansson, Arkansas, 44.74 avg.
2. Genius Chidzikwe, SMU, 44.02
3. Bo Hodge, Georgia, 38.35
4. Alex Kim, Stanford, 34.33
5. Ramsey Smith, Duke, 33.65
6. Brian Vahaly, Virginia, 32.21
7. Alex Hartman, Mississippi, 30.18
8. Ajay Ramaswami, LSU, 30.17
9. Marko Cerenko, Duke, 29.89
10. Jean-Julian Rojer, UCLA, 29.64
Women's Singles Top 10
1. Laura Granville, Stanford, 51.81 avg.
2. Ansley Cargill, Duke, 51.22
3. Michelle Dasso, Notre Dame, 45.89
4. Nataly Cahana, Old Dominion, 45.12
5. Bea Bielik, Wake Forest, 43.68
6. Martina Nedelkova, Virginia Commonwealth, 39.05
7. Lauren Kalvaria, Stanford, 31.21
8. Aarthi Venkatesan, Georgia, 30.59
9. Janet Walker, Texas, 30.12
10. Kristina Kraszewski, Washington, 29.29
Men's Doubles Top 10
1. Huntley Montgomery and Brian Vahaly, Virginia, 45.97 avg.
2. Matias Boeker and Travis Parrott, Georgia, 45.00
3. Amer Delic and Graydon Oliver, Illinois, 42.71
4. Scott Lipsky and David Martin, Stanford, 36.67
5. Florian Marquardt and Frank Moser, Virginia Commonwealth, 34.64
6. Olivier Levant and Nathan Overholser, Florida, 30.59
7. Jean - Noel Grinda and Jean - Julian Rojer, UCLA, 27.43
8. Johan Brunstrom and Jon Wallmark, SMU, 25.00
9. Georges Matijasevic and Tiago Ruffoni, Auburn, 23.08
10. Reiner Neurohr and Mark Williams, Baylor 22.27
Women's Doubles Top 10
2. Janet Bergman and Bea Bielik, Wake Forest, 45.76
3. Amanda Johnson and Megan Miller, Duke, 45.51
4. Paola Palencia and Ipek Senoglu, Pepperdine, 44.80
5. Martina Nedelkova and Andrea Ondrisova, Virginia Commonwealth, 41.56
6. Lori Grey and Aarthi Venkatesan, Georgia, 38.59
7. Michelle Dasso and Becky Varnum, Notre Dame, 38.35
9. Vladka Uhlirova and Janet Walker, Texas, 33.71
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Tue 2/28 | 7:00pm PTLive