Men's Basketball Visits USC Saturday
March 2, 2001
* Cal would win its 20th game of the season with a victory over USC Saturday. The Bears have won 20 games twice under head coach Ben Braun, in 1997 when the team finished 23-9 and reached the NCAA Sweet 16 and in 1999 when he led Cal to the NIT championship with a 22-11 mark.
* The Bears have taken three straight over the Trojans at the Sports Arena: 73-43 in 1998, 89-75 in 1999 and 66-62 last year.
* As of Friday morning, Cal was ranked 28th in the RPI and 23rd in the Sagarin Ratings.
* At 5-3 in Pac-10 road games, Cal has already assured itself of its first winning Pac-10 road record since 1993. The Bears haven't won six Pac-10 road games since the '93 squad finished 6-3.
* Senior forward Sean Lampley, who became Cal's all-time leading scorer last week against Washington State, enters Saturday's contest with 1,712 points. With 861 rebounds, he needs two more boards to overtake Doug True for fourth place on the school career list. In addition, three more assists (he has 279) will put him 10th on the Cal assist list.
* Last Monday, Lampley was named Pac-10 Player of the Week for the third time this season after averaging 29.0 ppg and 12.5 rpg in wins over Washington and Washington State. For the season, he leads the league in scoring with 20.0 ppg, including 21.9 ppg in Pac-10 games.
* Over his past seven games, Lampley is averaging 24.3 ppg and 8.4 rpg, reach at least 25 points four times.
* Since re-entering the starting lineup three games ago, junior center Solomon Hughes has averaged 11.7 ppg and 6.0 rpg and made 14-of-18 shots from the floor (77.8 percent). On the year, he tops the Pac-10 in field goal shooting at 64.6 percent.
* With 16 points at UCLA Thursday, sophomore guard Shantay Legans had his highest scoring night since also scoring 16 points at Arizona State Jan. 6. Still, he ranks second on the squad with 9.5 ppg overall and paces the team in assists (126), three-pointers (41) and steals (35).
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive