Sixth-Ranked Men's Tennis Sweeps Pacific
March 3, 2001
IRVINE, CA. - The University of Washington men's tennis team, currently ranked sixth by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, dominated the University of Pacific, winning 7-0 in non-conference play Saturday afternoon. The Huskies (10-4, 1-1) have now won seven out of their past ten matches.
The Huskies dropped the first of three doubles matches before reeling off eight straight victories to win 7-0. Washington won all six singles matches, highlighted by senior Andy Posavac's victory, which moves him to 12-0 on the season. Posavac split the first two sets with Pacific's Claus Lindholm, before Lindholm retired trailing 1-4 in the third. No. 43 Matt Hanlin, playing in the number one spot for Washington, defeated Dietrich Haug in straight sets, 7-6, 6-4. Jeremy Berman won his fifth match in a row, defeating Alex Fiedler 7-5, 6-2. Andrej Bizjak, Marius Lunde and Ari Strasberg also won their matches for Washington.
In doubles play, Washington's Dillon Ruby and Ari Strasberg teamed up to beat Pacific's duo of Haug/Kerschbaumer, 8-5, while Andrej Bizjak and Matt Hanlin clinched the doubles point for the Huskies, defeating Abrahamson/Lacroix 9-7.
The Dawgs will stay in California to face Virginia Tech Sunday at 1:30 p.m.
1. Lindholm/Fiedler (UOP) d. Berman/Posavac (UW) (8-5)
2. Dillon Ruby/Strasberg (UW) d. Haug/Kerschbaumer (UOP) (8-5)
3. Hanlin/Bizjak (UW) d. Abrahamson/Lacroix (UOP) (9-7)
1. Matt Hanlin (UW) d. Dietrich Haug (UOP) (7-6, 6-4)
2. Andrej Bizjak (UW) d. Tobias Abrahamson (UOP) (7-5, 6-1)
3. Andy Posavac (UW) d. Claus Lindholm (UOP) (6-3, 1-6, 4-1 ret.)
4. Jeremy Berman (UW) d. Alex Fiedler (UOP) (7-5, 6-2)
5. Marius Lunde (UW) d. Gernot Kerschbaumer (UOP) (6-4, 6-0)
6. Ari Strasberg (UW) d. Max Lacroix (UOP) (6-3, 3-6, 6-3)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive