Trojans Drop 5-2 Match To Top-Ranked Bruins
March 6, 2001
Los Angeles -- The No. 21 USC men's tennis team (7-2) dropped only its second match of the season with a 5-2 loss to the top-ranked UCLA Bruins (9-0) on Tuesday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
Despite an 8-4 win at the No. 1 doubles spot by USC's Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore over UCLA's Jean-Noel Grinda and Jean-Julien Rojer, the Trojans surrendered the doubles point with losses at courts 2 and 3.
Down 0-1, USC earned its first match point at No. 3 singles when Tobias Clemens retired a 3-2 match to USC's Damien Spizzo. The Trojans' afternoon was highlighted at center court when 17th-ranked Andrew Park upset 10th-ranked Rojer 6-3, 6-4.
USC now prepares to face Arizona on Friday (March 9) at 1:30 p.m. and Arizona State on Saturday (March 10) at Noon. Both matches will be played at Marks Tennis Stadium.
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Rojer/Grinda (UCLA) - 8-4
(2) Rettenmaier/Matkowski (UCLA) def. Park/Spizzo (USC) - 8-6
(3) Clemens/Ketola (UCLA) def. Collins/Torres (USC) - 8-3UCLA wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA) def. Ryan Moore (USC) - 6-2, 6-0
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Tobias Clemens (UCLA) - 3-2, retired
(4) Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
(5) Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Nick Rainey (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
(6) Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-2, 6-1
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive