Men's Tennis Takes Care Of Wildcats, 5-2
March 9, 2001
Los Angeles -- The No. 21 USC men's tennis team defeated No. 52 Arizona, 5-2, in a Pac-10 match on Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 8-2 overall and 1-1 in the Pac-10, while the Wildcats drop to 9-3 overall, 0-3 in conference play.
USC earned its first point after notching two doubles victories at the No. 1 and 2 positions. Andrew Park was the first to add a point in singles play by easily defeating Arizona's Steven Capriati 6-1, 6-2 at center court. The Wildcats remained in the match by claiming a win at No. 2, bringing the score to 2-1 when Tom Lloyd posted a 6-4, 6-4 win over USC's Damien Spizzo. The Trojans responded with wins at courts five and three, clinching the match victory with a 6-3, 6-2 sweep by USC junior Ryan Moore over Carl Hagman.
USC now prepares to face the 24th-ranked Arizona State Sun Devils tomorrow (March 10) at noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USC 5, Arizona 2
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Capriati/Hagman (Arizona) - 8-5
(2) Park/Spizzo (USC) def. Kim/Lloyd (Arizona) - 9-8 (7-1)
(3) Agniel/Brateanu (Arizona) def. Collins/Torres (USC) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Steven Capriati (Arizona) - 6-1, 6-2
(2) Tom Lloyd (Arizona) def. Damien Spizzo (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(3) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Carl Hagman (Arizona) - 6-3, 6-2
(4) Whi Kim (Arizona) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
(5) Nick Rainey (USC) Arnaud Agniel (Arizona) - 6-2, 7-5
(6) Parker Collins (USC) def. Jari Niskala (Arizona) - 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive