Team Captain Seals Victory
March 11, 2001
March 11, 2001 -
SPOKANE, Wash.- The No. 47 Cougars grabbed a close victory Saturday as they roasted the No. 48 Ducks of Oregon 4-3 in a dual hosted by the Cougars at the Spokane Racquet Club.
The Ducks were off to a quick start as they took two of the three doubles victories and the doubles point.
The Cougars were down 0-1 as they went into singles action.
Perkins quickly defeated Gieczys 6-1 in the first set. Gieczys retired in the second set, giving Perkins the win.
Senior Ana Moura downed Oregon's Jeanette Mattsson 7-5, 6-2 at the No. 3 position. Freshman Stacy McKenna also came up with a big win over the Ducks' Adeline Amaud 7-6, 6-4 at the No. 4 position, leaving the score tied at three apiece.
Experience was key for the Cougars as the final result come down to the match between senior-captain Filipovic and Vickie Gunnarsson, a junior-transfer for the Ducks. As the pressure built and the crowd cheered, Filipovic sealed the victory for the Cougars by defeating Gunnarsson 6-1, 1-6, 7-5.
'This was an awesome match,' head coach Cari Groce said. 'It was a classic collegiate tennis match with a great finale. It all came down to the hand of the senior and team captain with the crowd screaming and the pressure mounting, and Tamara stepped up and sealed the victory for the team. It was a great match, and we are very proud of the way the team played. It was a total team effort.'
The Cougars will travel to San Diego, Calif. to take on No. 31 San Diego State Monday, March 12 at 2 p.m. They will continue their stay in Calif. as they face the No. 57 University of San Diego Wednesday, March 14 at 10 a.m.
(47) WSU - 4 (48) Oregon - 3
1. (37) Erica Perkins (WSU) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-1, retire
2. Janice Nyland (UO) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU), 7-6, 7-6
3. Ana Moura (WSU) def. Jeanette Mattsson (UO), 7-5, 6-2
4. Stacy McKenna (WSU) def. Adeline Amaud (UO), 7-6, 6-4
5. Tamara Filipovic (WSU) def. Vickie Gunnarsson (UO), 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
6. Davina Mendiburu (UO) def. Anna Dybicz (WSU), 6-3, 6-0
1. (38) Perkins/Filipovic (WSU) def. (33) Gieczys/Nagle (UO) 8-6
2. Nyland/ Mendiburu (UO) def. Moura/McKenna (WSU) 8-4
3. Amaud/Mattsson (UO) def. Dybicz/Arias (WSU) 8-3