Watson, Kapono Named UCLA Co-MVPs For 2000-01
March 12, 2001
LOS ANGELES - UCLA senior guard Earl Watson and sophomore forward Jason Kapono were giventhe Coach John Wooden Award as the Bruins' Most Valuable Players at UCLA'sannual awards/dinner banquet held Monday night at the Beverly Hilton. Lastseason, Watson and Kapono shared the MVP award with then-sophomore forwardJerome Moiso.
Watson, with his start on Thursday night vs. Hofstra in an East Region firstround NCAA Tournament game, will tie the school record for starts (127, DonMacLean, 1989-92) and he's looking to become the only four-year player in schoolhistory to start every regular season and NCAA Tournament game. He's alsoUCLA's all-time leader in steals (229). Kapono is No. 1 in school history inthree-point shooting percentage (46.5, 158-340) and recently went over the 1,000point total (1,042), only the third player in school history to do it by the endof his sophomore season and just the fifth player to do it in his first twoyears.
Watson and Kapono's recent honors have included first-team All-Pacific-10 andNABC first-team All-Dist. 15. Kapono is also on the final ballot for the John R.Wooden Award and All-American team. Both players have started all 29 games thisseason for the Bruins.
Below is a complete list of the awards given out Monday night.
- Bob 'Ace' Calkins Memorial Award (free throw champion)'JasonKapono (87.6, 127-145)
- Elvin C. 'Ducky' Drake Memorial Award (for competitive spirit, inspiration and unselfish contributions)'Ryan Bailey/Jason Flowers
- Bruin Hoopsters J. D. Morgan Memorial Award (outstanding team play)'Matt Barnes
- UCLA Alumni Association Award (academic achievement and team contribution)'Jason Flowers
- Bruin Bench Basketball Award (most improvement in all-around play and mental attitude)'Billy Knight
- Seymour Armond Memorial Award (most valuable freshman)'T. J. Cummings
- Irv Pohlmeyer Memorial Award (outstanding defensive player)'Dan Gadzuric
- Coach John Wooden Award (most valuable player)'Earl Watson,, Jason Kapono
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive