Women's Tennis Falls To 10th-Ranked Sun Devils
March 17, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. - 12th-ranked USC women's tennis finished the trip in Arizona with a 6-1 loss to 10th-ranked Arizona State Saturday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. With the loss, the Trojans drop to 12-4 overall, while the Sun Devils improve to 12-3 .
In doubles play, ASU earned the team point by winning two of the three needed matches. No. 28-ranked Adria Engel/Karin Palme tandem defeated USC's No. 32 combo Melissa Esmero and Anita Loyola, 8-6, on the No. 2 court. At No. 3, ASU's Cindy Sureephong/Megan Yeats combo posted the 8-5 win over the Trojans' Maureen Diaz and Bernadette Bayani. USC's only doubles victory came at center court when Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer earned an 8-5 decision over ASU's Celena McCoury and Mhairi Brown.
In singles action, ASU did not drop a set in four of its six matches and won five of three matches to post the team victory. The Women of Troy's lone point came at the No. 3 spot as Diaz took care of Yeats 7-6, 6-2 after fighting for the tiebreaker in the first set.
The Trojans return home to prepare for Pepperdine on Wednesday, March 21. The match will be played in Malibu, Calif., and begin at 1:30 p.m.
(1) Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Brown/McCoury (ASU) - 8-5
(2) Palme/Engel (ASU) def. Esmero/Loyola (USC) - 8-6
(3) Yeats/Sureephong (ASU) def. Diaz/Bayani (USC) - 8-5
Arizona State wins doubles point
(1) Adria Engel (ASU) def. Jewel Peterson (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) Karin Palme (ASU) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-3, 1-6, 6-0
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Megan Yeats (ASU) - 7-6, 6-2
(4) Faye DeVera (ASU) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(6) Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
TOMORROW | 11:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:30pm PTLive