Trojans Take Care Of Wildcats
March 19, 2001
Tucson, Ariz. - No. 12 USC women's tennis defeated No. 22 Arizona 5-2 on Friday afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. With the win, the Women of Troy improved to 12-3, while the Wildcats dropped to 5-6. The match does not count against Pac-10 records.
USC claimed the doubles point by winning the second and third matches. With a win apiece, it was Melissa Esmero and Anita Loyola who pulled out the 9-7 victory at court No. 2 to give the Trojans a 1-0 lead.
Following a sweep by Jewel Peterson at center court over Michelle Gough 6-0, 6-0, the Trojans needed two more wins to ensure the victory. USC then took courts 2, 3 and 5 at which Tiffany Brymer pushed the Cats' Perrine Perrin to three sets for the 5-7, 7-5, 6-1 win.
USC 5, Arizona 2
(1) Gough/Regnier (Ariz) def. Peterson/Brymer (USC) - 8-5
(2) Esmero/Loyola (USC) def. Marino/Larocque (Ariz) - 9-7
(3) Bayani/Diaz (USC) def. Pernin/Buczkowska (Ariz) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point
(1) Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Michelle Gough (Ariz) - 6-0, 6-0
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) def. (Ariz) Debbie Larocque - 6-3, 7-5
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Sophie Regnier (Ariz) - 7-5, 7-6
(4) Laresa Marino (Ariz) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-2, 6-0
(5) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Perrine Pernin (Ariz) - 5-7, 7-5, 6-1
(6) Joanna Buczkowska (Ariz) def. Melissa Esmero (USC) - 6-0, 6-4
Wed 9/27 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 3:30pm PTLive