First Day Results From Baldy Castillo Decathlon/Heptathlon Competition
March 22, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The fifth-annual Baldy Castillo Track and Field Invitational opened with the first day of decathlon and heptathlon competition held at Sun Angel Stadium Thursday afternoon.
The three-day meet hosted by Arizona State kicked off with the first five events of the decathlon and the first four events of the heptathlon, with nine athletes competing in each. Kansas State's Pat Pyle leads the decathlon with 3,889 points, while on the women's side, Washington State's Whitney Evans leads the heptathlon competition with 3,295 points.
For the Sun Devils, Kyle Frerichs finished the day in fourth place in the decathlon with 3,336 points, while Elizabeth Arollo is eighth in the heptathlon with 2,500 points.Much more track and field is slated for Sun Angel Stadium this weekend. Over 600 athletes from 14 schools across the nation will compete in the three-day affair. The multi-event competition continues Friday at noon, while the men's hammer is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Additional field events Friday will begin at 4 p.m., while a distance carnival will be held beginning at 6 p.m.
The Baldy Castillo Invitational wraps up Saturday with field events scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. and running events at 1 p.m.
2001 Baldy Castillo Invitational - Day One Results - Decathlon/Heptathlon
1. Pat Pyle, Kansas State 3889 pts.
2. Steve Dwyer, Washington State 500 pts.
3. Jason Slye, Oregon 3361 pts.
4. Kyle Frerichs, Arizona State 3336 pts.
5. Matt Markell, Dartmouth 3165 pts.
6. Matt Ellis, Dartmouth 3116 pts.
7. Joe Kimpel, Dartmouth 3088 pts.
8. Adam Medenca, Northern Arizona 2949 pts.
9. Josef Karas, Kansas State 2918 pts.
1. Whitney Evans, Washington State 3295 pts.
2. Skujyte Austra, Kansas State 3268 pts.
3. Ellannee Richardson, WSU 3211 pts.
4. Shaina Damm, Dartmouth 3084 pts.
5. Terresha De Rossatt, Kansas State 3001 pts.
6. Stephanie Robertson, NAU 2808 pts.
7. Chrystal Seamans, Northern Iowa 2723 pts.
8. Elizabeth Arollo, Arizona State 2500 pts.
9. Liz Fontaine, Dartmouth 2435 pts.