Men's Tennis Makes It A Clean Sweep
March 22, 2001
Los Angeles -- The No. 22 USC men's tennis team left Princeton scoreless with a 7-0 victory Thursday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 11-3 overall, while Princeton drops to 2-7.
USC posted its first clean sweep in doubles, earning three 8-3 victories.
The Trojans quickly set the tone in singles with six decisive first-set wins. Parker Collins was the first off the court for USC with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Nick Benjamin. He was followed by Ruben Torres at No. 5 and Ryan Moore at No. 2 who clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3 decision over Princeton's Judson Williams.
By the end of the match, the Trojans only allowed the Tigers to escape with one set victory. USC won five of six singles matches in two sets.
USC will next face top-ranked UCLA on Friday, March 30. The match will begin at 1:30 p.m. in Westwood.
USC 7, Princeton 0
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Kliegerman/Portlock (Princeton) - 8-3
(2) Park/Spizzo (USC) def. Friedman/Williams (Princeton) - 8-3
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Smith/Portlock (Princeton) - 8-3
USC wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Kyle Kliegerman (Princeton) - 6-1, 6-4
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Judson Williams (Princeton) - 6-2, 6-3
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Trevor Smith (Princeton) - 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
(4) Nick Rainey (USC) def. Tim Kofol (Princeton) - 6-2, 7-6
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Daniel Friedman (Princeton) - 6-3, 6-2
(6) Parker Collins (USC) def. Nick Benjamin (Princeton) - 6-3, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive