Women's Tennis Can't Hang On, Loses 4-3 to No. 57 San Diego
March 27, 2001
SAN DIEGO - The University of Oregon women's tennis team lost its third straight heartbreaker, falling to No. 57 San Diego, 4-3, on Tuesday.
The Ducks (3-11) played a ranked team for the fifth straight match. San Diego, meanwhile, improved its record to 8-7.
Oregon won the doubles point as Adeline Arnaud and Jeanette Mattsson teamed up at the No. 2 position to defeat San Diego's Belinda Kelley and Stacie Lee, 8-4. At the No. 3 slot, Monika Gieczys and Courtney Nagle beat Paola Arrangoiz and Cathrine Heppel, 8-5.
The Ducks, however, lost two three-set singles matches for the second straight day. Vickie Gunnarsson, after winning the first set 6-3 at the No. 3 position, lost the next two 6-2, 6-2 to Kelley. Arnaud also won the first set against Krista Manning, but fell 7-6, 6-3 in the following sets.
Oregon, which has lost nine in a row, returns home for three consecutive matches. On Friday, the Ducks play host to Washington at 1:30 p.m., then take on Washington State at noon Saturday. Oregon concludes its homestand Sunday vs. Pacific at 1 p.m. All matches will be played at the new Student Tennis Center.
No. 57 San Diego 4, Oregon 3
1. Heather Polumbus (USD) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-2, 6-2
2. Janice Nyland (UO) def. Kate Valkyova(USD), 6-3, 6-3
3. Belinda Kelley (USD) def. Vickie Gunnarsson (UO), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Paola Arrangoiz (USD) def. Courtney Nagle (UO), 6-4, 6-1
5. Krista Manning (USD) def. Adeline Arnaud (UO), 6-7, 7-6, 6-3
6. Davina Mendiburu (UO) def. Cathrine Heppel (USD), 6-2, 6-2
1. Polumbus/Manning (USD) def. Mendiburu/Nyland (UO), 8-4
2. Arnaud/Mattsson (UO) def. Kelley/Stacie Lee (USD), 8-4
3. Gieczys/Nagle (UO) def. Arrangoiz/Heppel (USD), 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive