Men's Tennis Falls 5-2 to No. 25 Fresno State
March 29, 2001
MOBILE, Ala. - The University of Oregon men's tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 25-ranked Fresno State on Thursday at the Bruce David Lubel Memorial Tennis Complex.
The Ducks, who have lost two straight, drop to 8-8 on the season. Fresno State, meanwhile, improves to 11-6.
At No. 1 singles, Duck sophomore Oded Teig gave 15th-ranked Peter Luczak all he could handle, but lost 6-4, 7-5. Oregon picked up victories from Martin Pawlowski at the No. 2 position, a 6-7, 7-5, 6-4 win over Nick Fustar, and Greg Dubourdieu at No. 6, a 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 triumph against Alex Krohn.
'We competed pretty well in singles, but we've played better doubles than that,' sixth-year Oregon coach Chris Russell said. 'This young team, in our eyes, is getting better. Hopefully, they are developing and knowing what we need to do out there.'
The Ducks lost the doubles point, but received an 8-6 win from the No. 3 duo of Teig and freshman Chris King against Krohn and Alex Menichini.
Oregon wraps up its Southern road trip with a Saturday match against Louisiana-Lafayette (5-11) at 11 a.m. at the Cajun Courts.
No. 25 Fresno State 5, Oregon 2
1. Peter Luczak (FSU) def. Oded Teig (UO), 6-4, 7-5
2. Martin Pawlowski (UO) def. Nick Fustar (FSU), 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
3. Sean Cooper (FSU) def. Buck Mink (UO), 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
4. David Mullins (FSU) def. David Becker (UO), 6-2, 6-2
5. Alex Menichini (FSU) def. Jason Menke (UO), 6-4, 6-3
6. Greg Dubourdieu (UO) def. Alex Krohn (FSU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
1. Luczak/Mullins(FSU) def. Becker/Pawlowski (UO), 8-6
2. Cooper/Fustar (FSU) def. Mink/Menke (UO), 8-1
3. Teig/Chris King (UO) def. Krohn/Menichini (FSU), 8-6