Arizona State Men's Tennis Defeated By California, 4-3
March 31, 2001
Tempe, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (8-7, 2-1 Pac-10) was defeated by the California Bears (8-5, 1-2 Pac-10), 4-3, today in ASU's third consecutive match of six at Whiteman Tennis Center. Cal took an early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. The Sun Devils claimed their only doubles win on the No. 1 court where Matt Klinger and Pim Van Mele defeated Adrian Barnes and Scott Kintz, 8-5.
The Bears, however, fought back with an 8-5 win on the No. 2 court where John Paul Fruttero and Robert Kowalczyk defeated Nic Dubey and Jarrod Eckermann. Cal took the double's point with the second win on court No. 3 when Ben Miles and Balazs Veress defeated Mitchell Bowen and Olivier Charroin, 8-2.
In singles action, the two teams split the six matches. ASU claimed their first point on the No. 6 court where Eckermann defeated Erik Dmytruk in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The Bears then claimed wins on the second and fourth courts, while the Sun Devil's Mirza Duranovic defeated Barnes on the third court, 6-4, 6-1.
Finishing up the match, Cal's Fruttero defeated senior, all-american Dubey on the No. 1 court, 6-3, 3-1, and ASU's Charroin defeated Kowalczyk, 6-7 (7), 6-1, 1-0, on the fifth court.
Up next, Arizona State continues their home streak tomorrow taking on No. 6 Stanford at noon.
1. Klinger/Van Mele (ASU) def. Barnes/Kintz (CAL), 8-5
2. Fruttero/Kowalczyk (CAL) def. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU), 8-5
3. Ben Miles/ Veress (CAL) def. Bowen/Charroin (ASU), 8-2
1. John Paul Fruttero (CAL) def. Nic Dubey (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Balazs Veress (CAL) def. Matt Klinger (ASU), 6-7 (3), 6-3
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Adrian Barnes (CAL), 6-4, 6-1
4. Scott Kintz (CAL) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Robert Kowalczyk (CAL), 6-7 (7),
6-1, 1-0 (8)
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. Erik Dmytruk (CAL), 6-2, 6-2
TOMORROW | 7:30pm PTLive
Thu 2/22 | 6:00pm PTLive