Arizona State Men's Tennis defeated by No. 6 Stanford, 6-1
Tempe, Ariz. - The Arizona State men's tennis team (8-8, 2-1 Pac-10) was defeated by No. 6 Stanford (10-1, 2-0 Pac-10), 6-1, today under the hot and sunny skies at the Whiteman Tennis Center. Stanford easily took an early advantage by sweeping ASU in the three consecutive doubles matches for the first point. The toughest of the three matches was played on court No. 2 where Scott Lipsky and David Martin defeated senior Nic Dubey and freshman Jarrod Eckermann, 8-5.
Stanford continued their doubles streak with an 8-1 win on the No. 1 court where Alex Kim and K.J. Hippensteel defeated Matt Klinger and Pim Van Mele. The sweep was completed on court No. 3 when Scotty Scott and Ali Ansari defeated Mitchell Bowen and Olivier Charroin, 8-4.
In singles action, Stanford took all but one point from the Devils. The first match finished on the No. 2 court where Hippensteel defeated Klinger 6-2, 7-6 (3). ASU claimed their only point on the No. 3 court where Mirza Duranovic defeated Martin in a competitive match, 7-5, 6-3. Stanford then claimed wins on the first and fifth courts with straight set victories. After a long battle Stanford took win number five on the sixth court when Ansari defeated Eckermann, 2-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Finishing up the match, Stanford's Ryan Haviland defeated sophomore Van Mele on the No. 4 court, 6-4, 7-6(3).
The Sun Devils continue action at home next weekend when they take on Oregon April 6th at 1:30 p.m., and Washington April 7th at noon.
1. Kim/Hippensteel (Stan.) def. Klinger/Van Mele (ASU), 8-1
2. Lipsky/Martin (Stan.) def. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU), 8-5
3. Scott/Ansari (Stan.) def. Bowen/Charroin (ASU), 8-4
1. Alex Kim (Stan.) def. Nic Dubey (ASU), 6-2, 7-5
2. A.J. Hippensteel (Stan.) def. Matt Klinger (ASU), 6-2, 7-6(3)
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. David Martin (Stan.), 7-5, 6-3
4. Ryan Haviland (Stan.) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-4, 7-6(3)
5. Scotty Scott (Stan.) def. Olivier Charroin (ASU), 6-4, 7-6(3)
6. Ali Ansari (Stan.) def. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU), 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive