Bruins Overcome Trojans' Strong Start For 5-2 Win
March 31, 2001
Los Angeles, CA -- The top-ranked UCLA Bruins tennis team remained undefeated on the season after defeating USC, 5-2, Friday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The 5-2 score was identical to their earlier meeting of the season.
With the loss, the Trojans fall to 11-4 on the season, while the Bruins improve to 16-0.
In an old-fashioned duel among cross-town rivals, the Trojans struck first after taking two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. At No. 1, Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore came back from a break down to defeat Jean-Julien Rojer and Jean-Noel Grinda, 8-6. USC also won at No. 3 as Ruben Torres and Parker Collins downed the tandem of Erfan Djahangiri and Lassi Ketola, 8-5.
The Bruins struck back though, as UCLA won five of six single matches. The match was tied at two after Andrew Park upset Rojer at No. 1, 6-3, 6-3. That was as close as the Trojans would get as the Bruins' next point came courtesy of Matkowski at No. 3 as he downed Moore 7-6(6), 6-2. UCLA's Grinda came through in a big way as he clinched the victory at No. 2, posting a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Damien Spizzo.
UCLA 5, USC 2
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Rojer/Grinda (UCLA) - 8-6
(2) Rettenmaier/Matkowski (UCLA) def. Park/Spizzo (USC)- 9-7
(3) Torres/Collins (USC) def. Djahangiri/Ketola (UCLA) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. Jean-Julien Rojer (UCLA) def. - 6-3, 6-3
(2) Jean-Noel Grinda (UCLA) def. Damien Spizzo (USC) - 7-5, 6-3
(3) Marcin Matkowski (UCLA) def. Ryan Moore(USC)- 7-6(6), 6-2
(4) Erfan Djahangiri (UCLA) def. Ruben Torres (USC) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
(5) Lassi Ketola (UCLA) def. Nick Rainey (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(6) Travis Rettenmaier (UCLA) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive