Men's Tennis Defeats No. 28 Arizona State, 4-3
March 30, 2001
TEMPE, AZ - The California men's tennis team (8-4, 1-2 Pac-10) defeated the Arizona State men's tennis team (8-7, 2-1 Pac-10), 4-3, today in ASU's third consecutive match of six at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
Cal took an early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches for the first point. The Sun Devils claimed their only doubles win on the No. 1 court where Matt Klinger and Pim Van Mele defeated Adrian Barnes and Scott Kintz, 8-5. The tandem of John Paul Fruttero and Robert Kowalczyk remain undefeated (5-0) at the No. 2 doubles spot when they defeated Nic Dubey and Jarrod Eckermann, 8-5. Cal took the double's point with the second win on court No. 3 when Ben Miles and Balazs Veress defeated Mitchell Bowen and Olivier Charroin, 8-2.
In singles action, the two teams split the six matches. ASU claimed their first point on the No. 6 court where Eckermann defeated Erik Dmytruk in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The Bears then claimed wins on the second and fourth courts, while the Sun Devil's Mirza Duranovic defeated Barnes on the third court, 6-4, 6-1.
Finishing up the match, Fruttero defeated ASU's senior all-american Dubey on the No. 1 court in straight sets, 6-3, 3-1, and ASU's Charroin defeated Kowalczyk, 6-7 (7), 6-1, 1-0, on the fifth court.
Up next, Cal will head to No. 69-ranked Arizona at the Robson Tennis Center, Saturday, March 31, at 12 noon.
1. Klinger/Van Mele (ASU) def. Barnes/Kintz (CAL), 8-5
2. Fruttero/Kowalczyk (CAL) def. Dubey/Eckermann (ASU), 8-5
3. Ben Miles/ Veress (CAL) def. Bowen/Charroin (ASU), 8-2
1. John Paul Fruttero (CAL) def. Nic Dubey (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Balazs Veress (CAL) def. Matt Klinger (ASU), 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Mirza Duranovic (ASU) def. Adrian Barnes (CAL), 6-4, 6-1
4. Scott Kintz (CAL) def. Pim Van Mele (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Olivier Charroin (ASU) def. Robert Kowalczyk (CAL), 6-7 (7), 6-1, 1-0 (8)
6. Jarrod Eckermann (ASU) def. Erik Dmytruk (CAL), 6-2, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive