ASU Downs Washington State
April 6, 2001
LEWISTON, Ida. - Washington State's No. 30 women's tennis team was defeatedby the No. 14 Sun Devils of ASU, 5-2, Friday at the Lewis Clark State College(LCSC) Tennis Center in Lewiston. The match was to be held at the StadiumWay Tennis Center in Pullman, but was moved due to weather.
Although the Cougars were not able to clinch the victory, they did pull offsome impressive upsets, including one at the No. 2 doubles position where theNo. 49 tandem of captain Tamara Filipovic and junior Erica Perkins upsetASU's No. 23 duo of Adria Engle and Karin Palme 8-6. Senior AnaMoura upset No. 63 Megan Yeats 7-6, 6-3 at the No. 3 singles position.Freshman Stacy McKenna, making her first appearance at the No. 2 singlesposition, came up with a big win for the Cougars as she downed Karin Palme6-3, 6-2.
The Cougars are now 9-6 overall, 2-5 in the Pac-10, while the Sun Devils are14-3 and 6-3 in conference play.
'I am pleased with the way our teamed played today,' head coachCari Groce said. 'This is the closest match we have had against ASU,and they are a tough squad. We had some opportunities and came up with somehuge wins. Stacy and Ana both had big wins for us today, as did Tamara andErica. This team is not intimidated by anyone, and tomorrow we need to goout and play with the same intensity we had today.'
The Cougars will face the No. 49 Arizona Wildcats, Saturday, at noon at theStadium Way Tennis Center, weather permitting. In the case of bad weather,the match will be moved to the LCSC Tennis Center in Lewiston, Ida.
(14) ASU 5, (30) WSU 2
1. (7)Adria Engle (ASU) def. (34) Erica Perkins (WSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Stacy McKenna (WSU) def. Karin Palme (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Ana Moura (WSU) def. (63) Megan Yeats (ASU), 7-6, 6-3
4. Faye DeVera (ASU) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU), 6-2, 6-3
5. (82) Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Tamara Filipovic (WSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Lorena Arias (WSU), 4-6, 7-5, 7-6
1. (43) McCoury/Brown (ASU) def. (48) Moura/ McKenna (WSU), 8-5
2. (49) Filipovic/Perkins (WSU) def. (23)Engle/Palme (ASU), 8-6
3. Yeats/Sureephong (ASU) def. Arias/van de Ven (WSU), 9-7