Bears Take Early Lead Against Trojans
April 6, 2001
Los Angeles -- The No. 20 USC men's tennis team dropped a 4-2 match at the hands of No. 27 Cal Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the loss, the Trojans fall to 11-5 overall and 1-3 in the Pac-10, while the Golden Bears improve to 10-5, 2-1 in conference play.
USC began the match shorthanded after losing Ruben Torres to a wrist (right) injury earlier in the week. He was replaced by freshman Garrett Wong.
The Trojans surrendered the doubles point with two quick losses at the second and third courts.
In singles play, Parker Collins was the first off the court after falling to Cal's Robert Kowalczyk 6-4, 6-2. He was followed by USC's Nick Rainey who dropped a 6-3, 6-4 decision to Scott Kintz. The Trojans' first point came at the No. 3 position when Damien Spizzo defeated the Bears' Adrian Barnes (6-4, 6-2), but it was too late for USC to make a run. Cal clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-4 decision at No. 6.
18th-ranked Andrew Park posted an impressive win over No. 25 John Paul Fruttero, 6-4, 6-4, at center court.
USC will next face sixth-ranked Stanford tomorrow, April 7, at Noon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
Cal 4, USC 2
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) vs. Barnes/Kintz (Cal) - incomplete
(2) Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Park/Spizzo (USC) - 8-3
(3) Miles/Veress (Cal) def. Collins/Wong (USC) - 8-1
Cal wins doubles point
(1) Andrew Park (USC) def. John Paul Fruttero (Cal) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) vs. Balazs Veress (Cal) - incomplete
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Adrian Barnes (Cal) - 6-4, 6-2
(4) Scott Kintz (Cal) def. Nick Rainey (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(5) Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-4, 6-2
(6) Ben Miles (Cal) def. Garrett Wong (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 7:00pm PTLive