Women's Tennis Drops To Arizona State
April 6, 2001
LEWISTON, Ida. - Washington State's No. 30 women's tennis team was defeated by the No. 14 Sun Devils of ASU, 5-2, Friday at the Lewis Clark State College (LCSC) Tennis Center in Lewiston. The match was to be held at the Stadium Way Tennis Center in Pullman, but was moved due to weather.
Although the Cougars were not able to clinch the victory, they did pull off some impressive upsets, including one at the No. 2 doubles position where the No. 49 tandem of captain Tamara Filipovic and junior Erica Perkins upset ASU's No. 23 duo of Adria Engle and Karin Palme 8-6. Senior Ana Moura upset No. 84 Megan Yeats 7-6, 6-3 at the No. 3 singles position. Freshman Stacy McKenna, making her first appearance at the No. 2 singles position, came up with a big win for the Cougars as she downed Karin Palme 6-3, 6-2.
The Cougars are now 9-6 overall, 2-5 in the Pac-10, while the Sun Devils are 14-3 and 6-3 in conference play.
'I am pleased with the way our teamed played today,' head coach Cari Groce said. 'This is the closest match we have had against ASU, and they are a tough squad. We had some opportunities and came up with some huge wins. Stacy and Ana both had big wins for us today, as did Tamara and Erica. This team is not intimidated by anyone, and tomorrow we need to go out and play with the same intensity we had today.'
The Cougars will face the No. 49 Arizona Wildcats, Saturday, at noon at the Stadium Way Tennis Center, weather permitting. In the case of bad weather, the match will be moved to the LCSC Tennis Center in Lewiston, Ida.
(14) ASU 5, (30) WSU 2
1. (7)Adria Engle (ASU) def. (34) Erica Perkins (WSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Stacy McKenna (WSU) def. Karin Palme (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Ana Moura (WSU) def. (63) Megan Yeats (ASU), 7-6, 6-3
4. Faye DeVera (ASU) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU), 6-2, 6-3
5. (82) Mhairi Brown (ASU) def. Tamara Filipovic (WSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Lorena Arias (WSU), 4-6, 7-5, 7-6
1. (43) McCoury/Brown (ASU) def. (48) Moura/ McKenna (WSU), 8-5
2. (49) Filipovic/Perkins (WSU) def. (23)Engle/Palme (ASU), 8-6
3. Yeats/Sureephong (ASU) def. Arias/van de Ven (WSU), 9-7