Sun Devils Fall To Cardinal
April 13, 2001
TEMPE, Ariz. - The fourteenth-ranked Arizona State (15-5, 6-5) women's tennis team posted its first loss at home against No. 1 Stanford (21-0, 8-0), 5-2, Friday afternoon at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
ASU enthusiastically won the doubles point by stealing two of the three needed matches. ASU's No.28-ranked tandem of Celena McCoury and Mhairi Brown powered their way past the nation's top doubles combo, defeating Stanford's Lauren Barnikow and Lauren Kalvaria on the No. 1 court, 8-3. Stanford's Gabriela Lastra/Laura Granville duo defeated ASU's Cindy Sureephong and Megan Yeats on the No. 2 court, 8-1. However, all eyes were on the No. 3 court, where the Devils' Adria Engel teamed up with senior Faye DeVera for an 8-6 victory over Keiko Tokuda and Sarah Pestieau to win the team doubles point for ASU.
In singles action, first-ranked Granville took the victory against ASU's Engel in a quick match on the No. 1 court, 6-2, 6-2. The Devils took their only singles match of the day on the No. 6 court when freshman Sureephong defeated Emilia Anderson, 6-4, 6-2. Stanford renewed their winning streak taking straight set matches on the No. 2, 3 and 5 courts. The final match of the day included a tough loss on the No. 4 court when Stanford's Barnikow defeated DeVera, 3-6, 7-5, 6-2,
The Devils continue their home swing against No. 6 California tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. (MST) at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. (1) Laura Granville (SU) def. (12) Adria Engel (ASU), 6-2, 6-2
2. (7) Lauren Kalvaria (SU) def. Karin Palme (ASU), 6-2, 6-2
3. (20) Gabriela Lastra (SU) def. (63) Megan Yeats (ASU), 6-2, 6-4
4. (92) Lauren Barnikow (SU) def. Faye DeVera (ASU) , 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. (33) Keiko Tokuda (SU) def. (88) Mhairi Brown (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Cindy Sureephong (ASU) def. Emilia Anderson (SU), 6-4, 6-2
1. (28) McCoury/Brown (ASU) def. (1) Barnikow/Kalvaria (SU), 8-3
2. (2) Lastra/Granville (SU) def. Yeats/Sureephong (ASU), 8-1
3. DeVera/Engel (ASU) def. Tokuda/Pestieau (SU), 8-6
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive