Tennis Upsets No. 13 Washington, 4-3
April 14, 2001
LOS ANGELES -- With great doubles play to start the match, the 21st-ranked USC men's tennis team upset 13th-ranked Washington 4-3 Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans improve to 13-6 overall and 3-4 in Pac-10 play. The Huskies drop to 17-7, 2-4 in conference matches.
Andrew Park, who missed the Oregon match while rehabilitating a sprained ankle, reentered the lineup to bring the Trojans to full strength against the Huskies. With its usual doubles match-ups, USC took all three matches to start the afternoon, including a win at No. 3 when Parker Collins and Ruben Torres defeated Michael Rubin and Andrej Bizjak 7-6. Nick Rainey and Ryan Moore earned their 14th-consecutive victory at center court with an 8-4 decision over Washington's Jeremy Berman and Andy Posavac.
The Huskies put up a fight in singles play, capturing two-set victories at No. 1 and 6. Washington then earned its third and final point on the fourth court when USC's Nick Rainey was forced to retire the match in the third set. The deciding match came at court three when the Huskies' Posavac forced Damien Spizzo to a third set. After holding Posavac scoreless in the first, 6-0, and dropping the second set 6-3, Spizzo claimed the match victory and clinched the win for the Trojans with a 6-4 final set.
USC will next travel to Stanford and Cal on April 20 and 21.
USC 4, Washington 3
(1) Moore/Rainey (USC) def. Berman/Posavac (Wash) - 8-4
(2) Park/Spizzo (USC) def. Ruby/Strasberg (Wash) - 8-4
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Bizjak/Michael Rubin (Wash) - 7-6
USC wins doubles point.
(1) Andrej Bizjak (Wash) def. Andrew Park (USC) - 7-5, 6-2
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Jeremy Berman (Wash) - 7-6, 6-4
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Andy Posavac (Wash) - 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
(4) Ari Strasberg (Wash) def. Nick Rainey (USC) - 6-4, 6-7, 2-0 retired
(5) Ruben Torres (USC) def. Marius Lunde (Wash) - 6-0, 7-5
(6) Dillon Ruby (Wash) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive