Trojans Take Narrow 4-3 Victory Over Cougars
April 14, 2001
PULLMAN, Wash. -- 19th-ranked USC women's tennis escaped with a 4-3 victory over the 30th-ranked Washington State Cougars on Friday, April 13, at the LCSC Tennis Center in Pullman, Wash. With the win, the Women of Troy improve to 15-6 overall and 3-2 in the Pac-10, while the Cougars drop to 10-7, 3-6 in conference play.
Washington State was off to a quick start as it picked up two doubles victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions for the first point of the match. Stacy McKenna and senior Ana Moura upset USC's No. 12 ranked duo of Jewel Petersen and Tiffany Brymer, 9-7. Tamara Filipovic and Zorana Roganovic also upset the 43rd-ranked Trojan tandem of Anita Loyala and Melissa Esmero, 8-0.
Down 1-0 after doubles play, the Women of Troy had to earn four singles victories to claim the win. At court six, freshman Melissa Esmero posted the first point for USC with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Moniek van de Ven - the afternoon's only two-set victory for the Trojans. Despite dropping matches at the No. 1 and 5 positions, USC rallied at courts 2, 3 and 4. Anita Loyola and Maureen Diaz both came back after dropping their first sets, and Tiffany Brymer battled through a second-set loss for the victory.
USC will prepare to face No. 13 Washington on Saturday, April 14, in Seattle.
USC 4, Washington State 3
(1) Moura/McKenna (WSU) def. Petersen/Brymer (USC) - 9-7
(2) Filipovic/Roganovic (WSU) def. Loyola/Esmero (USC) - 8-0
(3) Diaz/Bayani (USC) def. Arias/van de Ven (WSU) - 8-3
Washington State wins doubles point.
(1) Stacy McKenna (WSU) def. (13) Jewel Petersen (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(2) Anita Loyola (USC) def. Ana Moura (WSU) - 2-6, 6-0, 7-5
(3) Maureen Diaz (USC) def. Zorana Roganovic (WSU) - 6-7(4), 6-1, 6-3
(4) Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Tamara Filipovic (WSU) - 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-4
(5) Lorena Arias (WSU) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 6-7, 6-1, 7-6 (7)
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Moniek van de Ven (WSU) - 6-4, 6-2
TODAY | 11:30am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive