Women's Tennis Drops 6-1 Match To Cardinal
April 20, 2001
Los Angeles -- The 15th-ranked USC women's tennis team fell to top-ranked Stanford 6-1 Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
With the win, the Cardinal remains undefeated with a 23-0 overall record, while the Women of Troy fall to 16-7 overall. The match does not count against Pac-10 records.
Stanford opened with the 1-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles matches, then earned its second point at No. 4 singles when Lauren Barnikow defeated Tiffany Brymer 6-0, 6-1.
Having fallen to the Cardinal 7-0 twice before, the Trojans posted their first point of the season when USC's Melissa Esmero defeated Emilia Anderson 6-3, 6-3 at the sixth court. But that was the closest the Trojans would get as the Cardinal won the remaining five matches for the victory.
The Women of Troy face No. 9 Cal Saturday, April 21, at Noon at Marks Tennis Stadium in their final regular season match of 2001.
Stanford 6, USC 1
(1) Kalvaria/Barnikow (Stan) def. Brymer/Peterson (USC) - 8-5
(2) Granville/Lastra (Stan) def. Esmero/Loyola (USC) - 8-6
(3) Tokuda/Pestieau (Stan) def. Bayani/Diaz (USC) - 8-3Stanford wins doubles point
(1) Laura Granville (Stan) def. Jewel Peterson (USC) - 7-5, 6-4
(2) Lauren Kalvaria (Stan) def. Anita Loyola (USC) - 6-0, 6-2
(3) Gabriela Lastra (Stan) def. Maureen Diaz (USC) - 6-2, 6-0
(4) Lauren Barnikow (Stan) def. Tiffany Brymer (USC) - 6-0, 6-1
(5) Keiko Tokuda (Stan) def. Bernadette Bayani (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Emilia Anderson (Stan) - 6-3, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive