Men's Tennis Falls To Golden Bears, 4-2
April 21, 2001
BERKELEY, Calif. - The No. 21-ranked Cal men's tennis team (14-7, 4-3 Pac-10) extended its win streak to four matches with a 4-2 win over 18th-ranked USC (13-7, 3-4 Pac-10) at the Hellman Tennis Courts in Berkeley on Saturday afternoon.
Both Cal and USC switched up the doubles teams, moving the Bears' duo of John Paul Fruttero and Robert Kowalczyk to the No. 1 spot, where they fell to USC's tandem of Damien Spizzo and Nick Rainey, 9-8. Despite the win at center court, the Trojans surrendered the doubles point with losses at No. 2 and 3. Cal's duo of Scott Kintz and Erik Dmytruk grabbed a tough win by defeating Parker Collins and Andrew Park, 8-6, and Ben Miles and Balazs Veress took an 8-1 victory at the No. 3 spot over Ruben Torres and Ryan Moore.
In singles, the big match was at No. 1, where two high school teammates went up against each other. Fruttero, who had never won a singles match against USC's Park, captured his first ever win in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.
Fruttero's play gave the Bears an added boost and helped propel the team past USC. Cal's other two singles points came at No. 4, where Kowalczyk easily defeated Rainey, 6-0, 6-1, and at No. 6 where Ben Miles earned a 6-3, 6-2 win over Collins.
The Trojans' two points came at No. 2 and 3 singles as Moore and Spizzo each claimed two-set victories over the Bears' Veress and Adrian Barnes, respectively.
USC will face No. 5 Stanford tomorrow at 11 a.m., in a rescheduled match that was rained out on Friday.
Cal 4, USC 2
(1) Spizzo/Rainey (USC) def. Fruttero/Kowalczyk (Cal) - 9-8
(2) Kintz/Erik Dmytruk (Cal) def. Collins/Park (USC) - 8-6
(3) Miles/Veress (Cal) def. Moore/Torres (USC) - 8-1Cal wins doubles point.
(1) John Paul Fruttero (Cal) def. Andrew Park (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) Ryan Moore (USC) def. Balazs Veress (Cal) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) Damien Spizzo (USC) def. Adrian Barnes (Cal) - 6-3, 6-2
(4) Robert Kowalczyk (Cal) def. Nick Rainey (USC) - 6-0, 6-1
(5) Scott Kintz (Cal) vs. Ruben Torres (USC) - incomplete
(6) Ben Miles (Cal) def. Parker Collins (USC) - 6-3, 6-2